Not long ago everyone knew what the word “retirement” meant. The expectation was that you worked until age 65—and then coasted through your golden years courtesy of a comfortable nest egg.
Today, when living to 90 is common, when savings are slim, when people work longer and change jobs frequently, clinging to an outdated concept of retirement gets you nowhere. The changes ahead require an incremental approach to planning—and you better begin now.
The new After 50 Lifestyle calls for more than money: it demands conscious engagement, diverse interests, and the ability to adapt. How Do I Get There from Here? helps you plot your direction for the coming decades. The first step is to acknowledge where you are—reviewing your assets, both the tangible (e.g. finances, health, relationships) and intangible (e.g. unfulfilled ambitions and new intentions). Then self-reflective questions and exercises walk you through imagining your future, identifying skills you'll need, and preparing for inevitable twists and turns along the way.
A retirement of nonstop leisure is not just unreachable, but for most, undesirable. How Do I Get There from Here? guides you toward a dynamic future...designed just for you.
Table of Contents
- Half title
- Acknowledgments and Appreciation
- Chapter 1 What You See Ahead of You Depends on What You’re Looking for and How Far Away You Are
- Chapter 2 Today’s New 50-plus Lives
- Chapter 3 A Tour of the New Normal
- Chapter 4 Getting Real: Imagine Your Future and Start Planning
- Chapter 5 Essential Questions You Need to Ask and Answer
- Chapter 6 Knowledge and Skills You Need Along the Way
- Chapter 7 Sacrifices and Trade-offs
- Chapter 8 Handling the Surprises and Curves
- Chapter 9 Learning from the Transitions of Others
- Chapter 10 Savoring Uncertainty
- Chapter 11 How Will I Know When I’m Done?
- Sample Place-to-Start Questionnaire
- Sample Planning and Action Template
- In Closing
- About the Author
- About AMACOM
- Title: How Do I Get There from Here?
- Release date: August 2017
- Publisher(s): AMACOM
- ISBN: 9780814438695