A detailed look at what really happens in the front office of an investment bank and why
Trading floors have always fascinated people, but few understand the role they play in the world of finance today. Though markets rise and fall every day, the drivers of those are rarely explored. Those who understand the dynamics of trading floors will better understand the dynamics of global financial markets. This book reveals the key players on the floor, their roles and responsibilities, how they serve their clients, and how it all impacts the markets. It also explains important terminology, explains the world of trading both cash and derivatives, and much more.
Includes a foreword by Gillian Tett, author of Fool's Gold: How Unrestrained Greed Corrupted a Dream, Shattered Global Markets and Unleashed a Catastrophe.
Terri Duhon (
www.terriduhon.co) is a financial market expert who in 2004 founded B&B Structured Finance Ltd, which provides expert consulting and financial markets training . Her time on the trading floor has been documented in the book Fool's Gold as well as by PBS's Frontline.
Table of Contents
- Women on the Trading Floor . . . Really?
- Chapter 1: What Are Financial Markets?
- Chapter 2: What Role Do Banks Play in Financial Markets?
- Chapter 3: Which Part of the Bank Are We Talking About?
- Chapter 4: What Does It Mean to Trade?
- Chapter 5: What Is the Market and Why Does It Move?
- Chapter 6: How Do Traders Make a Market?
- Chapter 7: How Is Proprietary Trading Different from Market Making?
- Chapter 8: What Is the Relationship Between Sales and Trading?
- Chapter 9: What Role Does the Research Analyst Play?
- Chapter 10: What’s So Special About Trading Derivatives?
- Chapter 11: Where Does Structuring Fit?
- Chapter 12: Where Are the Quants?
- Chapter 13: What Are the Risks?
- Chapter 14: How Do We Manage These Risks?
- Title: How the Trading Floor Really Works
- Release date: October 2012
- Publisher(s): Bloomberg Press
- ISBN: 9781119962953