The ultimate guide to launching and growing an online business
You’ve got a crazy idea, a hobby, a business or special expertise. You want to take it online, and you want to it be a money-making success. But what do you do next? Using a simple 5-step approach, best-selling author and digital marketing specialist Bernadette Schwerdt uncovers the inside tips and tricks that Australia’s most successful online entrepreneurs use to build their multi-million dollar businesses.
For those just starting out, this book will help you identify the best business idea to pursue, guide you on how to set it up and give you the strategies to grow it quickly using low-cost tools. For those with existing businesses, you’ll learn how to maximise your online impact and access the little-known but powerful tools and technologies the top disruptors use to create a global presence.
Featuring dozens of case studies of how Australia’s most successful disruptors have done it, Bernadette reveals the underlying patterns common to all successful online businesses – what they did right, what they did wrong, what they would do differently and the short cuts to building an online business that only the successful know. You’ll learn how to:
- Develop the entrepreneurial mindset needed to turn your passion, hobby or expertise into an online business
- Access free tools and technologies to help you build and test your online idea (before launching) to ensure a viable market exists
- Create a minimum viable product (MVP) that attracts attention and generates instant income
- Source web developers, designers and other important suppliers for a fraction of the usual cost
- Write, pitch, persuade and present like a professional to attract investors, customers and high-quality strategic partners
- Understand the basics of the Internet of Things, virtual reality, augmented reality and artificial intelligence and use these technologies to help your business create a point of difference
- Work from home and set up your online business in just a few hours a week
Table of contents
- About the Authors
- Preface: What’s your ‘pinch of salt’?
- Introduction: The state of play
1 Mindset How to develop an entrepreneurial mindset
- Chapter 1 Mindset #1: Trust your crazy ideas
- Chapter 2 Mindset #2: Take action
- Chapter 3 Mindset #3: Look ahead
- Chapter 4 Mindset #4: Know what business you’re in
- Chapter 5 Mindset #5: Know what problem you’re solving
- 2 Minimum viable product (MVP) How to create an MVP to launch your startup
3 Momentum How to harness the technical tools to build your online business
- Chapter 7 What is a minimum viable product (MVP)?
- Chapter 8 Anatomy of a startup
- Chapter 9 How to bumble your way to success
Chapter 10 7 questions to ask before you build your online business
- 1. What will you sell?
- 2. What staff will you hire and on what basis?
- 3. What social tools will you use to engage your community?
- 4. What gamification tools will you use to increase customer usage?
- 5. What level of failure will you accept from your staff?
- 6. What goals and metrics are used to track staff performance?
- 7. What data will you rely on to make business decisions?
- Chapter 11 Open Access, Open Sesame!
- Chapter 12 Marketplaces: Disrupting legacy industries
- Chapter 13 Software hacks every startup should know about
- Chapter 14 How to build an information-based business
4 Marketing How to get found, get traffic and get sales
- Chapter 15 Content marketing
- Chapter 16 Social influencer marketing
- Chapter 17 How to write great headlines that get results
Chapter 18 How to get on page one of G oogle
- Where do you rank on Google?
- Where do your competitors rank?
- Where is your audience hanging out?
- How to improve your Google page rank
- 5 questions to ask an SEO consultant before hiring one
- 5 questions to ask a web developer before hiring one
- Top 8 free Australian business directory listings
- So how do you get online reviews?
- One last tip: treat your website as the mothership
- Let’s recap
5 Motivation How to pitch, persuade and influence others to do business with you
- Chapter 19 How to source media coverage for your startup
- Chapter 20 How to pitch, present and persuade
- Chapter 21 How to prepare a great presentation
- Chapter 22 The art and science of business storytelling
- In closing
- Title: How to Build an Online Business
- Release date: February 2018
- Publisher(s): Wiley
- ISBN: 9780730345466
You might also like
Programming Rust, 2nd Edition
The Rust programming language offers the rare and valuable combination of statically verified memory safety and …
Designing Interfaces, 3rd Edition
Designing good application interfaces isn’t easy now that companies need to create compelling, seamless user experiences …
Python for Data Analysis, 2nd Edition
Get complete instructions for manipulating, processing, cleaning, and crunching datasets in Python. Updated for Python 3.6, …
Kafka: The Definitive Guide, 2nd Edition
Every enterprise application creates data, whether it consists of log messages, metrics, user activity, outgoing messages, …