28. Get Smart: Talk to Your Customers

Research studies have proven that an organization can only learn about 30 percent of what customers need, want, and expect through normal business interaction. The other 70 percent must be revealed by targeted research, ongoing communication, and constructive feedback.

Primary research typically focuses on specific information you want to directly ask customers, or potential customers, in order to help you understand buyer needs and preferences. This information will be very valuable as you evaluate a business idea, new product, or service concept, channel buying preferences, assess media and marketing likes and dislikes, or come across other issues you will use to refine your strategies.

Primary research ...

Get How to Innovate in Marketing (Collection), 2/e now with O’Reilly online learning.

O’Reilly members experience live online training, plus books, videos, and digital content from 200+ publishers.