The classic guide to cashing in on your million-dollar idea
Whether you've invented a great new product, or you have an idea for an app, an online business, or a reality show, How to License Your Million Dollar Idea delivers the information you need to snag a great licensing deal. Now in its third edition, this book has become the go-to source for budding inventors and entrepreneurs who have great ideas and want to cash in on them without putting themselves in financial risk. Licensing is the way to make that happen and this book explains exactly how it's done.
You'll get tested advice on how to protect your ideas and find a licensee for new products, apps, TV game shows, websites, software, and more. You'll also learn how to develop your creative thinking skills and objectively evaluate your ideas.
Explains how to protect your new idea with or without patents and copyrights
Directs you in finding the perfect person at the right company and on how to prepare a presentation that gets you to a "yes"
Reviews sample licensing contracts to help you understand what your creativity and achievement entitles you to
You'll also read accounts from profitable inventors on their own goof-ups and brilliant moves along their paths to success.
Table of contents
Chapter 1: Creating the Idea
- When is an Improvement not One?
- “Mommy, Where Do Ideas Come From?”
- Introducing the Famous Reese I.C.I.C.L.E. System of Creativity
- This is a Test
- Inside Jobs, Head Starts, Leg Ups, and Stuff Like That
- Caveats, Warnings, Cautions, and Places not to Go
- “A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes” (But You Can’t License It)
- Chapter 2: How to Research and Evaluate Your New Idea
Chapter 3: The End of the Free Ride
- Utility Patent
- Plant Patent
- Design Patent
- Provisional Patent Application
- Business Model Patent
- Protecting Your New Product Idea
- Protecting Your Software Idea
- Protecting Your TV Game or Reality Show Idea
- Protecting Your Internet Business Idea
- Yes, But is Your Product or Software Protected in Bulgaria?
- Beware of the Perils of Joint Ownership
- Something Else to Know
- The Paper Trail
- When You Really Do Need a Lawyer, Here’s How to Find the Right One
- Chapter 4: It’s Time to Swing into Action (The Devil is in the Details)
Chapter 5: Let’s Start the Show!
- Irrefutable Reason #1: Why Would the Company Invite a Lawsuit?
- Irrefutable Reason #2: No Offense, But You Can be Bought Cheap
- Irrefutable Reason #3: Why Chase You Away (Maybe You Won’t Come Back)?
- Irrefutable Reason #4: It’s Simply not Good Business, Even for Heimlich
- Why You’ll Leave the Meeting With a Smile on Your Face
- Mining for Prospects for Your Product Invention
- Your Deal With the Agent
- Mining for Prospects for Your New TV Show Idea
- Mining for Prospects for Your New Software Program
- Is There an APP for This?
- Mining for Prospects for Your Internet Business Idea
- Chapter 6: What to Say and How to Play
Chapter 7: Getting to “Yes”
- Pitching Your TV Show Idea
- Pitching Your New Internet Business Idea or Software Idea
- Pitching Your New Product Invention
- A Salesperson’s Worst Nightmare (Part 1)
- A Salesperson’s Worst Nightmare (Part 2)
- Establishing Your Credentials
- Say Hello to the New Products Director
- A Customer’s Two Cents Worth
- Chapter 8: Reaping the Harvest
- Chapter 9: Listening to Successful Inventors
- Title: How to License Your Million Dollar Idea: Cash In On Your Inventions, New Product Ideas, Software, Web Business Ideas, And More, Third Edition
- Release date: August 2011
- Publisher(s): Wiley
- ISBN: 9781118022429
You might also like
A Handbook of Technical Analysis: The Practitioner's Comprehensive Guide to Technical Analysis
A self study exam preparatory guide for financial technical analysis certifications Written by the course director …
Cracking the Tech Career: Insider Advice on Landing a Job at Google, Microsoft, Apple, or any Top Tech Company
Become the applicant Google can't turn down Cracking the Tech Career is the job seeker's guide …
Critical Thinking Skills For Dummies
Turbocharge your reasoning with Critical Thinking Just what are the ingredients of a great argument? What …
97 Things Every Engineering Manager Should Know
Tap into the wisdom of experts to learn what every engineering manager should know. With 97 …