Get a head start on making your games efficiently by avoiding common design and development pitfalls. Video games combine art and programming; this unique position has opened up opportunities for many pitfalls. This book takes you through the fundamentals of game making and the usual mistakes and bad practices that can harm your games.
We start with the common difficulties and challenges, ways to find the gaps, and game design. Next, we discuss game engines and other tools you need to choose while making a game, how you should choose them, and the design documents you need to make. We also cover simple but important tweaks in game mechanics as well as the look and feel of your game. We will also discuss conventions for naming, code structuring, project structuring, and coding.
Your thought process will be guided in a way that you can look for the proper approach to make a successful game. The book sheds light upon how to improve the overall game experience and finalize the game for release. Along the journey, we will explore some interesting stories of games and mythology as well.
By the end of the book, you will know about the basic life cycle of a game development process and how to not make a game.
What You Will Learn
- Discover the fundamentals of game design
- See some intermediate coding tricks to make your games better
- Grasp the pitfalls to avoid while designing and programming games
- Master the different conventions and practices for file naming and structuring your projects
Who This Book Is For
People who want to make games. Basic programming experience is assumed.
Table of contents
- Front Matter
- 1. Don’t
- 2. The Fault in Our Stars
- 3. Don’t Reinvent the Wheel
- 4. Choose Your Arsenal
- 5. It’s All in My Head: Writing a Game Design Document
- 6. A Stitch in Time Saves Nine
- 7. Git Good
- 8. Get Smart: Good Programming Practices
- 9. Game Design - The Three Musketeers!
- 10. Game Feels and Effects
- 11. Help!
- 12. Input Matters
- 13. Choosing a Platform
- 14. Game Testing and Publishing - The Great Filter
- 15. Game Over - The Myth of Sisyphus
- Back Matter
- Title: How to Make a Game: Go From Idea to Publication Avoiding the Common Pitfalls Along the Way
- Release date: May 2021
- Publisher(s): Apress
- ISBN: 9781484269176
You might also like
Computer Graphics from Scratch
Computer graphics are at work everywhere today, adding eye-popping details to video games, hyper-realistic CGI to …
Candlestick Charting For Dummies, 2nd Edition
Demystify stock charts so you can up your investing game Candlestick Charting For Dummies is here …
Mastering Excel Through Projects: A Learn-by-Doing Approach from Payroll to Crypto to Data Analysis
Master Excel in less than two weeks with this unique project-based book! Let’s face it, we …
Level Up! The Guide to Great Video Game Design, 2nd Edition
Want to design your own video games? Let expert Scott Rogers show you how! If you …