By the end of this chapter, you should be able to:
• Name four elements that promote a positive verbal climate.
• Explain the uses of warm and cold language.
• Cite one way to test the precision of your writing.
• List three ways to make your writing more concise.
• Explain what a mixed metaphor is and how to avoid it.
In this course, we’ve noted several skills essential for successful writers. They know how to encourage their audience to read their message, they explain their thoughts clearly and directly, and they use the right word—not just one that comes close. In short, they create a good verbal climate. ...