HTML5 Game Development Insights is a from-the-trenches collection of tips, tricks, hacks, and advice straight from professional HTML5 game developers. The 24 chapters here include unique, cutting edge, and essential techniques for creating and optimizing modern HTML5 games. You will learn things such as using the Gamepad API, real-time networking, getting 60fps full screen HTML5 games on mobile, using languages such as Dart and TypeScript, and tips for streamlining and automating your workflow. Game development is a complex topic, but you don't need to reinvent the wheel. HTML5 Game Development Insights will teach you how the pros do it.
Presented as a series of short chapters from various professionals in the HTML5 gaming industry, all of the source code for each article is included and can be used by advanced programmers immediately.
What you'll learn
"From The Trenches" tips, hacks, and advice on HTML5 game development
Best practices for building Mobile HTML5 games
Actionable advice and code for both professional and novices
Who this book is for
HTML5 Game Development Insights is for the game developer looking to improve their development process at all stages of the game development pipeline; The nuggets of awesome in this book are applicable both to the hobbyist, trying to track down a performance bug in rendering, and the professional, who is looking to speed up loading time by re-packing their artist-generated images. With this book, it's like looking over the shoulder of the top HTML5 game developers!
Table of Contents
- Title Page
- Contents at a Glance
- About the Authors
- About the Technical Reviewers
- CHAPTER 2: Optimal Asset Loading
- CHAPTER 5: Faster Canvas Picking
- CHAPTER 6: Autotiles
- CHAPTER 7: Importing Flash Assets
- CHAPTER 8: Applying Old-School Video Game Techniques in Modern Web Games
- CHAPTER 9: Optimizing WebGL Usage
- CHAPTER 10: Playing Around with the Gamepad API
- CHAPTER 11: Introduction to WebSockets for Game Developers
- CHAPTER 12: Real-Time Multiplayer Network Programming
- CHAPTER 13: The State of Responsive Design
- CHAPTER 14: Making a Multiplatform Game
- CHAPTER 15: Developing Better Than Native Games
- CHAPTER 16: Mobile Web Game Techniques with Canvas 2D API
- CHAPTER 17: Faster Map Rendering
- CHAPTER 18: HTML5 Games in C++ with Emscripten
- CHAPTER 19: Introduction to TypeScript: Building a Rogue-like Engine
- CHAPTER 20: Implementing a Main Loop in Dart
- CHAPTER 21: Saving Bandwidth and Memory with WebGL and Crunch
- CHAPTER 22: Creating a Two-Dimensional Map Editor
- CHAPTER 23: Automating Your Workflow with Node.js and Grunt
CHAPTER 24: Building a Game with the Cocos2d-html5 Library
- What Is Cocos2d?
- What Is Cocos2d-html5?
- Understanding Cocos2d
- Introduction to the Directory Structure
- Introduction to the Tiled Editor
- Getting Started on Built-in Examples
- Setting Up Your First “Hello World” Project
- Building the Tower Defence Game
- Releasing a Cocos2d-html5 App to a Native App
- Setting Up the Cocos2d JSB Environment
- Learning More
- How Active Is the Community?
- What If I Have a Question?
- Title: HTML5 Game Development Insights
- Release date: April 2014
- Publisher(s): Apress
- ISBN: 9781430266976