After reading this chapter, you should be able to:
- List the objectives, features and history of trade unions
- Enumerate the types of trade unions
- Understand the strategies and actions of unions for goal accomplishment
- Detail the reasons for which workers join trade unions
- Overview the Trade Union Act, 1926
- Understand the challenges facing the trade union movement
- Discuss union-free organizations
Indian Railways is one of the largest employers of the country with a 1.54 million strong workforce. It has a strong presence in terms of trade unions. The trade union movement began in 1924 since the first railway union, the All India Railwaymen’s Federation (AIRF), was formed that year. The AIRF has conducted ...
Get Human Resource Management 2e now with the O’Reilly learning platform.
O’Reilly members experience books, live events, courses curated by job role, and more from O’Reilly and nearly 200 top publishers.