After you have read this chapter, you should be able to
- Understand the importance of volunteers to strategic human resources management
- Discuss how volunteers assist public and nonprofit organizations
- Explain the variety of methods used to recruit volunteers
- Understand volunteer motivations
- Understand the roles of governing boards in nonprofit organizations
The tradition of volunteerism in the United States began with religious-affiliated organizations and local government councils. Today nonprofit and public sector organizations volunteer opportunities range from serving as board members of nonprofit organizations to serving on local government boards and commissions. Parents volunteer as coaches of nonprofit and ...