Chapter 5. TotalStorage Productivity Center installation on AIX 187
After the prerequisite software has been installed, distributing the GUI with a Web interface is
mostly a matter of configuring the Web application server.
5.10.1 Distributing the Graphical User Interface with a Web browser
Follow the instructions in this section to set up your environment to distribute the Graphical
User Interface (GUI) with the Web when you are using AIX systems.
1. If you have not already done so, log in as the root user on the AIX system which you will
use as a Web server.
2. Install the TotalStorage Productivity Center GUI if it is not already installed on this system.
Refer to “Installing the Java Graphical User and the Command Line Interface” on
page 182 for detailed instructions.
3. If you already have a Web application server installed, proceed to “Configuring the Web
application server” on page 191. If not, you can follow the instructions in the next section
to download and install IBM HTTP Server.
Installing IBM HTTP Server
If you do not already have a Web application server installed, you can download and install
IBM HTTP Server. This package is based on the Apache Geronimo open source project.
Your server must have a minimum of 512 MB of RAM, and 1 GB of free disk space in order to
install IBM HTTP Server. You will also need an additional 1 GB of free space to temporarily
house the software image and uncompressed installation files.
Follow these steps to download an installation image of IBM HTTP Server:
1. Enter the following URL into your Web browser:
2. Click on the link on that page to download the latest version of IBM HTTP Server. As of
this writing, the latest version was 18.104.22.168.
3. Follow the instructions for downloading the image to a temporary location on your system.
4. Change to the location where you stored the image file. For example:
5. Extract the compressed image files. For example, if you downloaded Version 22.214.171.124, you
would type the following command:
tar -xvf ihs.6020.aix.ppc32.tar
6. Change to the installation directory that was created automatically during the image
extraction. For example:
Preparing the display
This version of the IBM HTTP Server installer uses a graphical, Java-based interface. If you
are installing using a local graphical display, proceed to the next section entitled “Beginning
the installation” on page 188. However, if you are installing from a remote terminal session,
you must set up an X-Windows display prior to beginning the installation process.
Note: Registration at the ibm.com® Web site is required. There is no charge to download
188 IBM TotalStorage Productivity Center: The Next Generation
First, you must start your local X-Windows server application. Examples are Hummingbird
Exceed or Cygwin.
Once your local X-Windows server application is running, you must set the DISPLAY variable
on your host. You must know the IP address of the machine from which you intend to perform
the installation. For example, if you IP address is 126.96.36.199, type the following command at the
server’s command prompt:
You can verify that the X-Windows environment is properly set up by executing the following
command on the host:
If the environment is successfully configured, you will see a graphical clock display, similar to
the one shown in Figure 5-37 on page 159:
Figure 5-90 Graphical clock display
Beginning the installation
To start the installation, follow these steps:
1. In the installation directory, type the following command:
The graphical installation displays, and appears similar to the one shown in Figure 5-91.
Figure 5-91 IBM HTTP Server installer welcome screen
2. Click Next. The license agreement screen displays, and appears similar to the one shown
in Figure 5-92 on page 189.
Chapter 5. TotalStorage Productivity Center installation on AIX 189
Figure 5-92 IBM HTTP Server license agreement
3. Choose I accept the terms in the license agreement and click Next. The installation
location screen displays, and appears similar to the one shown in Figure 5-93.
Figure 5-93 IBM HTTP Server installation location
4. The default installation location is /usr/IBMIHS. You may change the installation location
to suit your requirements by entering a path in the Directory Name field or by clicking
Browse to search for it. Once you have entered the installation location, click Next. The
setup type screen displays, and appears similar to the one shown in Figure 5-94 on