Chapter 2. Installation and administration 19
Workplace Services Express has the following hardware requirements:
Linux operating systems:
– Red Hat Enterprise Linux Advanced Server 2.1 for Intel (x86), Update 3
– SUSE LINUX Enterprise Server (SLES) for Intel (x86) 8 2.4 Kernel
Microsoft Windows operating systems:
– Microsoft Windows 2003 Enterprise
– Microsoft Windows 2003 Standard
– Microsoft Windows 2000 Advanced Server SP4
– Microsoft Windows 2000 Server SP4
– Microsoft Internet Explorer® 6.0 SP1
– Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.5 SP2
– Mozilla Web Browser 1.4 (supported on Linux (Intel) systems and not
Microsoft Windows systems)
– Mozilla Web Browser 1.3
– Mozilla Web Browser 1.2.1
– Netscape Communicator 7.2
2.2 IBM Workplace Services Express installation
The IBM Workplace Services Express installation includes all the necessary
software required to get the site up and running.
Complete the following steps:
1. Insert CD 1-1 to launch the installer.
Note: For Windows 2003, check to see if you have the Terminal Services
installed before you install the product.
Important: If you plan to use an existing LDAP user registry, you must perform
the appropriate configuration steps immediately after installation, and before
you start Workplace Services Express, as outlined in Chapter 7, “Configuring
IBM Workplace Services Express for external LDAP directories” on page 285.
20 IBM Workplace Services Express
The installation program might automatically start when you insert the disc if
the Autostart function is enabled. Otherwise, run the Install.bat command
from the root directory of the CD drive (run Install.bat -console to perform
the installation in console mode).
2. Select the language to use and click OK, as shown in Figure 2-1.
Figure 2-1 Language selection
Tip: If installing Workplace Services Express on Linux, run the following
command from the root directory of the CD drive:
./install.sh to install in graphical mode
./install.sh -console to install in console mode.
Remember that the following disk space is required for each directory:
/: 1.5 GB or more (root directory)
/opt: 2.5 GB or more.
/home: 500 MB or more (home directory)
The default directory to install Workplace Services Express on Linux is
/opt, which you can change to any directory you like later. By default, /opt is
under / file system in default. If you choose to install Workplace Services
Express under /usr, 3.5 GB or more of disk space is recommended.