Secure your investment gains and supercharge your results with this down-to-earth analysis of investing fundamentals
Via powerful and unique insights, Ignore the Hype: Financial Strategies Beyond the Media-Driven Mayhem teaches readers how to keep their focus squarely on time-tested strategies for meeting their financial goals without getting distracted by a constant barrage of news headlines.
The book takes a common-sense approach to the financial world that’s ideally suited to the everyday investor. It covers topics including:
- How to avoid competing against hedge funds in a game they’ve rigged
- What you can do today to avoid taxes tomorrow
- Wall Street’s Dirty Secret: Forecasting is just guessing
- Why some of your investments have worse odds than a casino game
- How the media circus can derail your financial plans
- Surviving a world where financial advisors don’t have to act in your best interest
Ignore the Hype emphasizes the difference between short-term trading and long-term investing, how to filter the constant onslaught of information coming your way from every angle and separate the valuable content from the noise, and how to build a foundation for investment success based on common sense and academic research.
Table of contents
- About the Author
Part I: Yes, the Game Is Rigged, But You Don't Have to Play
Chapter 1: The Times They Are a-Changin'
- There Is a World of Difference Between Speculation and Investing
- So, Why Is It So Damn Hard to Ignore the Hype?!
- To Play, or Not to Play, That Is the Question
- Life at the Speed of Light
- Lower Transaction Costs
- Self-Directed Investing
- High-Frequency Trading
- The 24-Hour News Cycle
- The Rise of the Institutional Investor
- The Bottom Line
- Chapter 2: Don't Play a Game That's Rigged
- Chapter 3: Guess What? A Forecast Is Just a Guess
- Chapter 1: The Times They Are a-Changin'
Part II: If You Don't Know Where You're Going, You Probably Won't Get There
- Chapter 4: You Must Know What Drives Investment Returns
Chapter 5: You Must Have a Specific Financial Goal
- Step One: Determine Your Vision of Retirement
- Step Two: Determine How Much You Spend Today
- Step Three: Determine When You Want to Retire
- Step Four: Determine How Much Income You'll Need in Year One of Retirement
- Step Five: Determine Your Sources of Retirement Income
- Step Six: Determine How Much You'll Need from Your Savings and Investments
- Step Seven: Determine a Sustainable Distribution Rate
- Step Eight: Determine How Much Money You Need to Retire
- Step Nine: Determine Your Plan to Accumulate the Money You Need to Retire
- Putting It All Together with a Step-by-Step Example
- Already Retired?
- The Bottom Line
- Chapter 6: You Must Invest to Meet Your Goal
- Chapter 7: You Must Practice Smart Diversification
- Chapter 8: You Must Learn How You'll Be Taxed
Part III: Just Because You're Paranoid Doesn't Mean They Aren't Out to Get You
- Chapter 9: How to Avoid the Taxman Without Going to Jail
- Chapter 10: Sorry, But You're Probably Your Own Worst Enemy
- Chapter 11: FYI, the Media Doesn't Care If You Make Money
Chapter 12: Avoid the Wolf in Sheep's Clothing
- Does It Pass the Sniff Test?
- Who's Got Your Back?
- Focus on Minimizing Unnecessary Fees
- Is What You're Buying Even an Investment?
- Drowning in a Sea of Complexity
- Do You Even Know What You're Buying?
- But My “Regular” Bonds Are Free from Commissions, Right?
- What Are You Using Derivatives For?
- Market Voodoo (AKA Technical Analysis)
- Let Me “Sell” You an Annuity…
- Now, Let Me “Explain” an Annuity…
- The Bottom Line
- Chapter 13: How to Survive a Bear Attack
- End User License Agreement
- Title: Ignore the Hype
- Release date: September 2020
- Publisher(s): Wiley
- ISBN: 9781119691228
You might also like
51+ hours of video instruction. Overview The professional programmer’s Deitel® video guide to Python development with …
Python Crash Course, 2nd Edition
This is the second edition of the best selling Python book in the world. Python Crash …
Sharpen your Python skills as you dive deep into the Python programming language with Serious Python. …
Practices of the Python Pro
Practices of the Python Pro teaches you to design and write professional-quality software that’s understandable, maintainable, …