Immutable infrastructure, a deployment and operations strategy inspired by the programming concept of immutability, is more than just another technology option. It also provides a completely different way of thinking about application and service delivery. In this report, Josh Stella, co-founder and CEO of Fugue, explains that embracing immutability means giving up the data center mindset, which focuses on individual machine uptime and maintenance, for a more flexible approach using API-driven infrastructure-as-code.
Stella describes the advantages of working with immutable infrastructure—particularly automated instance replacement and autoscaling—and provides a look at current implementations in the marketplace. You’ll also learn best practices for integrating immutable patterns into your workflow.
- Learn how immutable infrastructure treats all aspects of your system as quanta that can be built, replaced, and destroyed
- Understand why traditional data center management techniques struggle in distributed, scaled environments
- Explore current use cases for implementing immutable patterns through customized toolchains
- Learn fundamental patterns and practices for achieving immutability with cloud resources
- Examine a unified approach to immutability with the Fugue operating system
Josha Stella is co-founder and CEO of Fugue, the company that’s creating an operating system for the cloud. Before Fugue, Josh was a Principal Solutions Architect at Amazon Web Services, served as a CTO for a startup, and held several other technical and leadership roles over the past 25 years.
Table of contents
- 1. Here Then Gone: What Is Immutable Infrastructure?
2. Immutable Infrastructure in Action
- Immutable Infrastructure in the Toolchain
- Best Practices: How to Make Your Application Immutable
- Immutable Infrastructure in a Unified System
- 3. Pressing Questions
- Title: Immutable Infrastructure
- Release date: March 2016
- Publisher(s): O'Reilly Media, Inc.
- ISBN: 9781491943878
You might also like
Software Engineering at Google
Today, software engineers need to know not only how to program effectively but also how to …
Head First Design Patterns, 2nd Edition
You know you don’t want to reinvent the wheel, so you look to design patterns—the lessons …
Designing Data-Intensive Applications
Data is at the center of many challenges in system design today. Difficult issues need to …
Modern System Administration
Early system administration required in-depth knowledge of a variety of services on individual systems. Now, the …