Step-by-step guidance for implementing an effective statewide longitudinal data system
Every U.S. state faces challenges in its efforts to ensure the highest-quality education for students. To address these challenges, a growing number of states are establishing statewide longitudinal data systems (SLDSs), a data-rich system integrating relevant data about a student's education. Implementing Statewide Longitudinal Data Systems for Education presents a detailed and contextualized discussion of SLDSs, which will serve as a recipe for states that want to implement an SLDS, develop design and enactment of new and existing SLDS systems, addressing implementation, operation and optimization.
Provides a contextualized discussion of the history and purpose of SLDSs
Describes how to plan for and implement an SLDS, including best practices regarding data governance, standards and privacy
Discusses proven methods of data management, and details the two most popular methods of database architectures used for SLDSs
Provides 5 case studies of states successfully using SLDSs
Offers suggestions for expansion and inclusion of new datasets over time
This essential book addresses the culture of data concept, providing a guide for states to usher in a new era in their education system where data is invaluable and used by everyone, not simply the newest version of the old system. A robust LDS initiative includes linked student records, teacher records, test scores, course selection, finances, certifications, licensure, salary and more. Concluding with a discussion of the potential future uses of SLDS, this book is the ultimate guide to SLDS implementation and understanding.
Table of contents
- Title Page
- Chapter 1: How to Establish a Successful SLDS
- Chapter 2: The SLDS Landscape
- Chapter 3: Getting Started on Your SLDS
- Chapter 4: Data Management: Creating One Version of the Truth
- Chapter 5: Florida Case Study: The Up- and Downside of Being the First
- Chapter 6: Michigan Case Study: SLDS—a Tool for Reinventing the Economy
- Chapter 7: North Carolina Case Study: New SLDS, Existing Partnerships
Chapter 8: Sharing Information with Others
- PUBLIC INFORMATION SHARING: WHAT INFORMATION IS THE PUBLIC ENTITLED TO AND INTERESTED IN?
- POLICY MAKERS AND STATE-LEVEL DECISION MAKERS: HOW CAN LEGISLATORS ENABLE AND USE LONGITUDINAL DATA?
- RESEARCHERS: HOW CAN STATES LEVERAGE RESEARCHERS TO MAKE THE LONGITUDINAL DATA ANSWER KEY QUESTIONS?
- ESTABLISHING THE CONNECTION WITH ACADEMIA
- PARENTS: WHAT LONGITUDINAL DATA DO PARENTS NEED, AND HOW WILL IT MAKE A DIFFERENCE?
- STUDENTS: HOW CAN SCHOOLS PROVIDE STUDENTS WITH MORE INTUITIVE, INSTANT ACCESS TO THEIR OWN STUDENT RECORD CONTEXTUALIZED WITH LONGITUDINAL DATA?
- Chapter 9: Using Data in Schools and Classrooms
- Chapter 10: Expanding Your SLDS: Adding Out-of-School Time and Health-Care Data
- Chapter 11: A Culture of Data: Using Longitudinal Data to Solve Big Problems
- Chapter 12: It’s Not about the Data
- About the Authors
- Title: Implement, Improve and Expand Your Statewide Longitudinal Data System: Creating a Culture of Data in Education
- Release date: January 2014
- Publisher(s): Wiley
- ISBN: 9781118466773
You might also like
The Art of Communication
Bring nuance, depth, and meaning to every conversation you have The Art of Communication is for …
Build an Awesome PC, 2014 Edition
Custom-build your own dream PC, have fun doing it, and save yourself a lot of money …
Positive Thinking Pocketbook
Think your way to a more positive life Positive thinking is an approach and a set …
Microsoft Excel 2016 Data Analysis and Business Modeling
Master business modeling and analysis techniques with Microsoft Excel 2016, and transform data into bottom-line results. …