This chapter teaches firewall concepts, technologies, and design principles. At the end of this chapter, you will be able to do the following:
• Explain the operations of the different types of firewall technologies
• Describe firewall technologies that historically have played, and still play, a role in network access control and security architectures
• Introduce and describe the function and building blocks of Network Address Translation
• List design considerations for firewall deployment
• Describe guidelines for firewall ruleset creation
A firewall protects network devices from intentional, hostile intrusions that could threaten information ...