Companies are looking for a single SQL database engine that can address all their needs - from transactional, to operational, business intelligence, analytical workloads, and more - on a single platform without the latency of data transformation and replication. They are looking for the ultimate database nirvana. But is it even possible?
In this course, which is targeted at advanced level database professionals, big data expert Rohit Jain explores the concept that comes closest to meeting the test: Hybrid transactional/analytical processing or HTAP.
- Explore the four key challenges of delivering HTAP with a single query engine
- Hear an analysis of the SQL to NoSQL to SQL swinging database pendulum
- See how a single query engine can support multiple HTAP workloads
- Master the differing responsibilities of a query engine versus a storage engine
- Learn how a single query engine can support multiple storage engines serving different needs
- Discover how a single query engine can support all data models - normalized, big table, etc.
- Understand how to best evaluate enterprise level HTAP technologies
Rohit Jain is CTO at Esgyn, a start-up offering an enterprise level transactional SQL database engine on HBase. He worked for Hewlett-Packard for 28 years, most recently as Trafodion Community Manager, and a Database Distinguished and Chief Technologist. Rohit is known internationally for his innovations in massively parallel processing and distributed computing solutions for both operational and analytical workloads. He holds a Masters in Management Science from the Birla Institute of Technology & Science and an MBA from the University of Michigan.