In Search of Stupidity: Over Twenty Years of High-Tech Marketing Disasters, Second Edition is National Lampoon meets Peter Drucker. It's a funny and well-written business book that takes a look at some of the most influential marketing and business philosophies of the last twenty years. Through the dark glass of hindsight, it provides an educational and entertaining look at why these philosophies didn't work for many of the country's largest and best-known high-tech companies.
Marketing wizard Richard Chapman takes you on a hilarious ride in this book, which is richly illustrated with cartoons and reproductions of many of the actual campaigns used at the time. Filled with personal anecdotes spanning Chapman's remarkable career (he was present at many now-famous meetings and events), In Search of Stupidity, Second Edition examines the best of the worst marketing ideas and business decisions in the last 20 years of the technology industry.
This second edition includes new chapters on Google and on how to avoid stupidity, plus the extensive analyses of all chapters from the first edition. You'll want to get a copy because it:
Features an interesting preface and interview with Joel Spolsky of "Joel on Software"
Offers practical advice on avoiding PR disaster
Features actual pictures of some of the worst PR and marketing material ever created
Is highly readable and funny
Includes theme-based cartoons for every chapter
Table of contents
- FOREWORD TO THE SECOND EDITION
- FOREWORD TO THE FIRST EDITION
- ABOUT THE AUTHOR
- ABOUT THE ARTISTS
- 1. INTRODUCTION
- 2. FIRST MOVERS, FIRST MISTAKES: IBM, Digital Research, Apple, and Microsoft
- 3. A RATHER NUTTY TALE: IBM and the PC Junior
- 4. POSITIONING PUZZLERS: MicroPro and Microsoft
- 5. WE HATE YOU, WE REALLY HATE YOU: Ed Esber, Ashton-Tate, and Siebel Systems
- 6. THE IDIOT PIPER:OS/2 and IBM
- 7. FRENCHMAN EATS FROG, CHOKES TO DEATH: Borland and Philippe Kahn
8. BRANDS FOR THE BURNING: Intel, Motorola, and Google
- 8.1. The Nature of Brands
- 8.2. The Sins of Branding
- 8.3. The Great Pentium Bunny Roast: Intel Inside
- 8.4. Digital DNA: A Day in the Life of Alfred E. Motorola
- 8.5. The Eternal Darkness of the Clueless Mind: Google, Eric Schmidt, Sergey Brin, and the People Who Brought YouTiananmen Square
- 9. FROM GODZILLA TO GECKO: The Long, Slow Decline of Novell
10. RIPPING PR YARNS: Microsoft and Netscape
- 10.1. The Zen of Marketing
- 10.2. Bill Gates vs. the DOJ: Sometimes We All Go a Little Bit Crazy
- 10.3. Netscape and Marc Andreessen: Will You Please Just Shut Up?
- 11. PURPLE HAZE ALL THROUGH MY BRAIN: The Internet and ASP Busts
- 12. THE STRANGE CASE OF DR.OPEN AND MR. PROPRIETARY
13. ON AVODING STUPIDITY
- 13.1. The Main Causes of Failure
- 13.2. You Shall Study the Past, and the Past Will Make You Less Stupid
- 13.3. Now That You Know, Do You Know When to Know It?
- 13.4. Are We...Are We Ourselves?
- 13.5. Never Trust (or Hire) Anyone Over 30
- 13.6. The Best Generals Hire the Best Generals
- 13.7. Now That You Know, What Do the Rest of You Know As Well?
14. STUPID ANALYSES
- 14.1. Chapter 2, "First Movers, First Mistakes: IBM, Digital Research, Apple, and Microsoft"
- 14.2. Chapter 3, "A Rather Nutty Tale: IBM and the PC Junior"
- 14.3. Chapter 4, "Positioning Puzzlers: MicroPro and Microsoft"
- 14.4. Chapter 5, "We Hate You, We Really Hate You: Ed Esber, Ashton-Tate, and Siebel Systems"
- 14.5. Chapter 6, "The Idiot Piper: OS/2 and IBM"
- 14.6. Chapter 7, "Frenchman Eats Frog, Chokes to Death: Borland and Philippe Kahn"
- 14.7. Chapter 8, "Brands for the Burning: Intel, Motorola, and Google"
- 14.8. Chapter 9, "From Godzilla to Gecko: The Long, Slow Decline of Novell"
- 14.9. Chapter 10, "Ripping PR Yarns: Microsoft and Netscape"
- 14.10. Chapter 11, "Purple Haze All Through My Brain: The Internet and ASP Busts"
- 14.11. Chapter 12, "The Strange Case of Dr. Open and Mr. Proprietary"
- AFTERWORD: Stupid Development Tricks
- A. GLOSSARY OF TERMS
- SELECTED BIBLIOGRAPHY
- Title: In Search of Stupidity: Over 20 Years of High-Tech Marketing Disasters, Second Edition
- Release date: September 2006
- Publisher(s): Apress
- ISBN: 9781590597217
You might also like
Art of Computer Programming, The: Volume 1: Fundamental Algorithms
&>The bible of all fundamental algorithms and the work that taught many of today's software developers …
Mythical Man-Month, The: Essays on Software Engineering, Anniversary Edition
Few books on software project management have been as influential and timeless as The Mythical Man-Month. …
Software Architecture in Practice, Third Edition
The award-winning and highly influential has been substantially revised to reflect the latest developments in the …
The Pragmatic Programmer: your journey to mastery, 20th Anniversary Edition, 2nd Edition
"One of the most significant books in my life." —Obie Fernandez, Author, The Rails Way "Twenty …