∗ This chapter reflects developments up ro 2006. Changes after rhar year have nor been incorporated.
1. Sumit Ganguly and Devin Hagerty, Fearful Symmetry: India–Pakistan Crises in the Shadow of Nuclear Weapons (New Delhi: Oxford, 2005).
2. Sumit Ganguly, Conflict Unending: India–Pakistan Tensions Since 1947 (New Delhi: Oxford, 2002), pp. 126–27.
3. Ganguly and Hagerty, Fearful Symmetry, pp. 168–70.
4. See the text of the memorandum of understanding signed between the two Foreign Secretaries at Lahore, available at http://www.stimson.org/southasia/?SN=A20020 109215#doc2
5. Mohammed Ayoob, ‘South Asia’s Dangers and US Foreign Policy’, Orbis,Vol. 45, No. 1, Winter 2001, p. 127. Also see David A. Lake and Patrick M. Morgan (eds), Regional ...