Consumer networks have revolutionized the way companies understand and reach their customers, making possible intricate measurement and accurate prediction at every step of every transaction. The same revolution is underway in our infrastructure, where new generations of sensor-laden power plants, cars and medical devices will generate vast quantities of data that could bring about improvements in quality, reliability and cost. Big machines will enter the modern era of big data, where they'll be subject to constant analysis and optimization.
The promise of the industrial internet is that it will bring intelligence to industries that are capital-intensive and create broad value that all of the industrial internet's participants will share.
This report examines the industrial internet across several industries. It describes both near-term efforts as well as the longer-term development that will emerge as software and machines further integrate.
Table of contents
1. The industrial internet
- Internet architecture and practice applied to industrial settings
- Software abstraction makes the physical world accessible
- Optimization above the level of a single machine
- Substitution of software for assets
- Substitution of software for labor
- Everything becomes a sensor
- Machines built nightly
- Ultra-transparent markets replace regulation
- Security problems arise from systems that were built without connectivity in mind
- 2. Security
- 3. Industry Focus
- 4. The role of Silicon Valley in creating the industrial internet
- 5. Conclusion
- About the Author
- Title: Industrial Internet
- Release date: March 2013
- Publisher(s): O'Reilly Media, Inc.
- ISBN: 9781449365875
You might also like
Software Engineering at Google
Today, software engineers need to know not only how to program effectively but also how to …
Python Projects for Beginners: A Ten-Week Bootcamp Approach to Python Programming
Immerse yourself in learning Python and introductory data analytics with this book’s project-based approach. Through the …
Microservices Patterns teaches you how to develop and deploy production-quality microservices-based applications. This invaluable set of …
The Wiley Blackwell Encyclopedia of Consumption and Consumer Studies
With entries detailing key concepts, persons, and approaches, The Wiley Blackwell Encyclopedia of Consumption and Consumer …