Instant InDesign is the first comprehensive guide to Adobe
InDesign that focuses exclusively on the art of template design and
production. You’ll learn everything you need to
know—from key design principles and basic template
architecture to advanced automation techniques. With practical tips
and real-world examples, you’ll discover how to translate
your great ideas into industrial-strength templates. Magazine,
newspaper, book, and catalog publishers, as well as ad agencies,
graphic design firms, and independent designers can all use this
guide to boost productivity and enhance their creative process.
Instant InDesign is the best single resource for fast and
efficient page layout and production. This comprehensive guide shows you step by step how to:
Use the powerful new features in InDesign CS3—text variables, frame fitting options, and table styles—to create templates for ads, brochures, books, magazines,catalogs, and more.
Make the most of master pages, paragraph and character styles, nested styles, object styles, and table styles to automate formatting.
Optimize the use of typography, graphics and images, color, object libraries, and layers in your templates.
Work with the new transparency options and nondestructive effects in InDesign CS3.
Set up Data Merge and XML-based templates to automate page production.
Utilize and modify the templates that ship with InDesign CS3.
Use Adobe Bridge to manage your text, image assets, and templates.
Table of contents
The Zen of Template Design
- Understanding Templates
- Seven Principles of Great Template Design
- Step-by-step Approach to Designing Templates
- Getting Your Feet Wet with InDesign CS3 Templates
Setting Up InDesign to Do the Work
- The Anatomy of a Frame
Frames in Action
- Understanding the Rulers
- Measuring, Positioning, and Transforming Frames
- Grouping, Nesting, Anchoring, and Stacking
- Setting Up the Framework of a Template
- Setting Up Master Pages, Libraries, and Layers
- Working with Color
- Formatting Type and Generating Style Sheets
- Formatting Frames and Generating Object Styles
- Formatting Tables and Generating Table and Cell Styles
- Adding Support for Long Documents
- Preparing Your Template for Success
- Managing Templates with Adobe Bridge CS3
- Automating Layouts with XML
- Automating Layouts with Data Merge
- Title: Instant InDesign: Designing Templates for Fast and Efficient Page Layout
- Release date: November 2007
- Publisher(s): Adobe Press
- ISBN: 9780321549686
You might also like
Adobe Dimension Classroom in a Book (2021 release)
The fastest, easiest, most comprehensive way to learn Adobe Dimension Classroom in a Book®, the best-selling …
The Language of Graphic Design
For anyone trying to communicate in a new language, one has to first gain a complete …
Design Elements, Typography Fundamentals
Explore the fundamentals of typography with this practical new guide.
New in Paperback! An inspired resource for creating excellent layouts Layout Workbook is one of five …