Learn to harness the power and versatility of Netcat and understand why it remains an integral part of IT and security toolkits to this day
- Learn something new in an Instant! A short, fast, focused guide delivering immediate results.
- Downloading, compiling, and installing Netcat on Windows and Linux platforms
- Establish a raw network connection so you can understand how Netcat processes information using a simplistic chat interface
- Establish and maintain a remote shell / back door on various operating systems
As a featured networking utility, Netcat uses TCP/IP protocols to read and write data across network connections. Netcat is a feature rich backend network debugging and exploration tool with the ability to create almost any type of connection you would need.
"Netcat Starter Guide" is a practical, hands-on guide that provides you with a simple and straightforward roadmap to proceed from newbie to seasoned professional with the Netcat utility. By progressing from simple to more complex uses, this book will inform and explain many of the primary use cases that are only limited by your imagination.
This book explores the classic Netcat utility, and breaks down the common ways in which it can be utilized in the field. Beginning with compilation and installation, this book quickly has you utilizing the core features of the utility to perform file transfers regardless of commonly blocked firewall ports, perform real-world interrogation of services and listening ports to discover the true intention of an application or service, and tunnelling remotely into systems to produce remote command shells.
Table of Contents
Instant Netcat Starter
- Instant Netcat Starter
- About the author
- About the reviewer
1. Instant Netcat Starter
- So, what is Netcat?
- For all supported platforms
- For Windows installations
- For Linux/Unix installations (Unix Netcat Installation)
- For Linux/Unix installations (GNU Netcat Installation)
- Nmap Project's Ncat (All distributions)
- And that's it
- Quick start – the basics of Netcat
Top 3 features you'll want to know about
Using Netcat to get a remote shell on a target computer
- Windows remote shell (and simple post-exploitation hi-jinks)
- Linux remote shell
- Port scanning with Netcat
- Other key Netcat switches
- Using Netcat to get a remote shell on a target computer
- People and places you should get to know
- Title: Instant Netcat Starter
- Release date: January 2013
- Publisher(s): Packt Publishing
- ISBN: 9781849519960