The essential guide to modular development with OSGi for the serious application developer
- Learn something new in an Instant! A short, fast, focused guide delivering immediate results.
- Learn what can be done with OSGi and what it can bring to your development structure
- Build your first application and deploy to an OSGi runtime that simplifies your experience
- Discover an uncomplicated, conversational approach to learning OSGi for building and deploying modular applications
OSGi is a tried and true modularity standard for Java. It has in recent years gained a lot of traction and tooling; becoming frequently used in Enterprise containers and distributed software systems.
"Instant OSGi Starter" is where you should start before beginning your first OSGi based project. You’ll be exposed to the core concepts, gain practical experience with the most important features, and learn about the basic tenets of modular code practices.
This book begins with the fundamental tools needed for building modular applications, top features with basic tenets of modular core practices and provides useful insights into resources and the community.
As this book progresses you will be able to get started programming in OSGi whilst looking at the default three layer design so the application will be architected towards modularity and simplicity.
Through exploring several tools and technologies and browsing the communities you will be able to work towards modular programming in OSGi.
Table of contents
Instant OSGi Starter
- Instant OSGi Starter
- About the authors
- About the reviewer
1. Instant OSGi Starter
- So, what is OSGi?
- Step 1 – what do I need?
- Step 2 – downloading an OSGi core
- Step 3 – starting up an OSGi core directly
- Step 4 – downloading Apache Karaf
- Step 5 – starting Apache Karaf
- Step 6 – obtaining the BND tool (Maven Bundle plugin)
- Step 7 – obtaining Blueprint
- Step 8 – obtaining Pax Exam
- And that's it!!
- Quick start – your first OSGi bundles
Top five features you'll want to know about
- 1 – OSGi headers
- 2 – OSGi life cycle
- 3 – OSGi core services
- 4 – OSGi Compendium Services
- 5 – OSGI and modular patterns
- People and places you should get to know
- Title: Instant OSGi Starter
- Release date: January 2013
- Publisher(s): Packt Publishing
- ISBN: 9781849519922
You might also like
The Art of Communication
Bring nuance, depth, and meaning to every conversation you have The Art of Communication is for …
Adobe® Experience Manager: Classroom in a Book®: A Guide to CQ5 for Marketing Professionals
Adobe Experience Manager (formerly CQ5) is an industry leading web content management system aimed at giving …
Fall in Love with the Problem, Not the Solution
Unicorns-companies that reach a valuation of more than $1 billion-are rare. Uri Levine has built two. …
Modern Software Engineering: Doing What Works to Build Better Software Faster
Improve Your Creativity, Effectiveness, and Ultimately, Your Code In Modern Software Engineering, continuous delivery pioneer David …