THE COMPREHENSIVE GUIDE TO MANAGING AND LEADING COMPANIES THAT COMPETE INTERNATIONALLY
Drawing on the course material developed at the Harvard Business School and Yale School of Management by David Collis, International Strategy provides theoretical insight and pragmatic tools that address the decisions facing senior managers in multinational corporations. International Strategy explores the critical differences between domestic and international competition: the heterogeneity of markets in which companies are involved; the volatility of economic conditions that firms face; and the increased scale of activities fostered by global participation. The text examines how these phenomena create tensions and tradeoffs for executives concerning which product to offer around the world, which countries to compete in, where to locate various activities, and how to organize the firm worldwide. Making those choices in an integrated fashion, it is explained, requires pursuit of a coherent strategy that builds an international advantage.
Filled with illustrative examples from a wide range of international companies, International Strategy, offers an accessible guide to help managers navigate the myriad decisions they must make in order to create value from their foreign operations and outperform competitors in an increasingly integrated world.
Table of Contents
- Introduction: Motivation and Definition – what is International Strategy?
PART ONE The Context Facing Multinational Firms
- Chapter 1 The Ubiquity and Importance of International Competition
- Chapter 2 Why Do Firms Go International?
PART TWO Conceptual Framework: What is Different about International Strategy?
- Chapter 3 What is Distinctively International about International Strategy?
- Chapter 4 What is Uniquely Strategic about International Strategy?
- Chapter 5 Generic International Strategies
- Chapter 6 Choice of Generic International Strategy
PART THREE Managerial Implications
- Chapter 7 What Product?
- Chapter 8 Which Country?
- Chapter 9 Where to Locate?
- Chapter 10 How to Organize?
- Chapter 11 The Modern Multinational
- About The Author
- End User License Agreement
- Title: International Strategy: Context, Concepts and Implications
- Release date: September 2014
- Publisher(s): Wiley
- ISBN: 9781405139687