9Building Your Sense of Choice
T he building blocks for your sense of choice are these:
- Delegated authority—securing your formal right to make decisions
- Trust—having confidence in your self-management (your own confidence and your boss’s confidence in you)
- Security—feeling freedom from fear of punishment for experimenting or making honest mistakes
- A clear purpose—understanding what you are trying to accomplish and being able to recognize opportunities
- Information—gaining your access to relevant facts and sources
The first three building blocks—delegated authority, trust, and security—give you the freedom to make choices. The last two building blocks—clarity of purpose and information—allow you to make informed choices.
The following are ...