Shading and Texturing
Shading is the term for applying colors and textures to create materials, also known in the Autodesk® Maya®
software as shaders. A shader defines an object’s look—its color, tactile
texture, transparency, luminescence, glow, and so forth.
- Learning Outcomes: In this chapter, you will be able to
- Differentiate between different shader types
- Create and edit shader networks in the Hypershade window
- Apply shaders and textures to a model
- Set up UVs on a model for the best texture placement
- Understand the steps to set up texture images to fit a model’s UV layout
- Tweak UVs to align texture details
- Use Maya’s toon shading to create a cartoon look
When you create any objects, Maya assigns ...