Introducing Data Science teaches you how to accomplish the fundamental tasks that occupy data scientists. Using the Python language and common Python libraries, you'll experience firsthand the challenges of dealing with data at scale and gain a solid foundation in data science.
About the Technology
Many companies need developers with data science skills to work on projects ranging from social media marketing to machine learning. Discovering what you need to learn to begin a career as a data scientist can seem bewildering. This book is designed to help you get started.
About the Book
Introducing Data Science explains vital data science concepts and teaches you how to accomplish the fundamental tasks that occupy data scientists. You'll explore data visualization, graph databases, the use of NoSQL, and the data science process. You'll use the Python language and common Python libraries as you experience firsthand the challenges of dealing with data at scale. Discover how Python allows you to gain insights from data sets so big that they need to be stored on multiple machines, or from data moving so quickly that no single machine can handle it. This book gives you hands-on experience with the most popular Python data science libraries, Scikit-learn and StatsModels. After reading this book, you'll have the solid foundation you need to start a career in data science.
- Handling large data
- Introduction to machine learning
- Using Python to work with data
- Writing data science algorithms
About the Reader
About the Authors
Davy Cielen, Arno D. B. Meysman, and Mohamed Ali are the founders and managing partners of Optimately and Maiton, where they focus on developing data science projects and solutions in various sectors.
Read this book if you want to get a quick overview of data science, with lots of examples to get you started!
- Alvin Raj, Oracle
The map that will help you navigate the data science oceans.
- Marius Butuc, Shopify
Covers the processes involved in data science from end to end… A complete overview.
- Heather Campbell, Kainos
A must-read for anyone who wants to get into the data science world.
- Hector Cuesta, Big Data Bootcamp
Table of contents
- Brief Table of Contents
- Table of Contents
- About this Book
- About the Authors
- About the Cover Illustration
- Chapter 1. Data science in a big data world
- Chapter 2. The data science process
- Chapter 3. Machine learning
- Chapter 4. Handling large data on a single computer
- Chapter 5. First steps in big data
- Chapter 6. Join the NoSQL movement
- Chapter 7. The rise of graph databases
- Chapter 8. Text mining and text analytics
- Chapter 9. Data visualization to the end user
- Appendix A. Setting up Elasticsearch
- Appendix B. Setting up Neo4j
- Appendix C. Installing MySQL server
- Appendix D. Setting up Anaconda with a virtual environment
- List of Figures
- List of Tables
- List of Listings
- Title: Introducing Data Science
- Release date: May 2016
- Publisher(s): Manning Publications
- ISBN: 9781633430037
You might also like
Data Science Bookcamp
Learn data science with Python by building five real-world projects! Experiment with card game predictions, tracking …
Introducing Machine Learning
Master machine learning concepts and develop real-world solutions Machine learning offers immense opportunities, and Introducing Machine …
Build a Career in Data Science
You are going to need more than technical knowledge to succeed as a data scientist. Build …
Modeling Techniques in Predictive Analytics with Python and R: A Guide to Data Science
Master predictive analytics, from start to finish Start with strategy and management Master methods and build …