Currently one of the hottest projects across the Hadoop ecosystem, Apache Kafka is a distributed, real-time data system that functions in a manner similar to a pub/sub messaging service, but with better throughput, built-in partitioning, replication, and fault tolerance. In this video course, host Gwen Shapira from Cloudera shows developers and administrators how to integrate Kafka into a data processing pipeline.
You’ll start with Kafka basics, walk through code examples of Kafka producers and consumers, and then learn how to integrate Kafka with Hadoop. By the end of this course, you’ll be ready to use this service for large-scale log collection and stream processing.
- Learn Kafka’s use cases and the problems that it solves
- Understand the basics, including logs, partitions, replicas, consumers, and producers
- Set up a Kafka cluster, starting with a single node before adding more
- Write producers and consumers, using old and new APIs
- Use the Flume log aggregation framework to integrate Kafka with Hadoop
- Configure Kafka for availability and consistency, and learn how to troubleshoot various issues
- Become familiar with the entire Kafka ecosystem
Gwen Shapira is a software engineer at Cloudera with 15 years of experience working with customers to design scalable data architectures. Working as a data warehouse DBA, ETL developer, and a senior consultant, Gwen specializes in building scalable data processing pipelines and integrating existing data systems with Hadoop. She’s a committer to Apache Sqoop and an active contributor to Apache Kafka.
- Title: Introduction to Apache Kafka
- Release date: March 2015
- Publisher(s): O'Reilly Media, Inc.
- ISBN: 9781491923306
You might also like
Apache Kafka A-Z with Hands-On Learning
Do you want to learn Apache Kafka to store and process multiple, nonstop streams of information …
Apache Kafka Fundamentals LiveLessons
Almost 4 hours of video instruction to help you learn the key concepts and features behind …
Cloud native data pipelines with Apache Kafka
As microservices, data services, and serverless APIs proliferate in a cloud native world, analysts still need …
Stream Processing with Apache Kafka
What exactly is a streaming platform? Viktor Gamov explains what a streaming platform such as Apache …