An Introduction to Information Networks
The learning goals for this chapter are as follows:
- Understand the structure of the worldwide information superhighway, commonly known as the Internet, as well as the various components that are inherent to its operation.
- Explore the numerous ways in which the Internet can be accessed through a variety of networks and transmission media
- Learn the composition of the network core that forms the Internet backbone and the organizations that support its continued development
- Learn the difference between packet switching and circuit switching, as well as the ramifications of each
- Understand the layers of the protocol stack that are used to support the interaction of computers connected to the Internet
- Learn ...