The Application Layer
The learning goals for this chapter are as follows:
- Obtain an appreciation for the tremendous number of applications that are fundamental to the use of computer networks
- Explore the three dominant application architectures used to structure the applications among various end host systems
- Understand the use of a socket in sending and receiving messages through the network
- Obtain an understanding of the transport layer services that can be employed in computer networks and the transport protocols that are applicable to this environment
- Explore the facets and ramifications of the Hypertext Transfer Protocol (HTTP) as the Web’s application layer protocol
- Understand the differences involved between the persistent ...