This chapter provides an overview of cyber threats to information, information systems, and information infrastructure as well as cyber defensive measures. The learning goals for this chapter are as follows:
- Obtain a global perspective of the measures that must be addressed in providing network and information security
- Gain an understanding of the threat level and the trends taking place in the development and deployment of new malware
- Examine in detail the different types of malware and their means of propagation
- Understand the vulnerability naming schemes
- Understand how polymorphism and metamorphism are employed in malware to mutate in an attempt to avoid detection
- Examine the motivation that underlies the ...