The learning goals for this chapter are as follows:
- Learn the purpose and configurations of a firewall
- Learn the contents of an integrated security gateway package designed to counter any threats
- Understand the location and operational characteristics of the different types of firewalls: packet filtering, application-level gateway and circuit-level gateway
- Learn the manner in which a primary-backup firewall operates and the protocols that are used with it
- Explore the many facets of a Windows 7/Vista firewall, and outline in detail the manner in which the appropriate rules are employed to configure both personal and home network firewalls
- Understand the details involved in the use of a Cisco firewall containing a DMZ
- Learn ...