Virtual Private Networks for Network Layer Security
The learning goals for this chapter are as follows:
- Understand Internet Protocol security (IPsec) and the critical role it plays in providing secure communications over the IP layer
- Learn the various components of IPsec that provide security services and explore its modes of operation
- Examine the packet format and the function of the components within it that work in concert for packet protection
- Understand the numerous issues involved in the application of the Internet Key Exchange (IKE) for establishing crypto keys, including the underlying mathematics, protocols, components, functional elements and phases
- Understand the data link layer Virtual Private Network (VPN) protocols ...