If you've been tasked with building a team to handle risk management for online payments (RMP), this practical introduction provides a framework for choosing the technologies and personnel you need. Author and financial services executive Ohad Samet explains the components of payments risk management, and presents a coherent strategy and operational approach.
You'll learn the answers to questions you're likely to encounter in the first 18 months of operation, with information that Samet has shaped and tested over several years in the industry. This book is ideal whether you intend to be a one-person task force or work with dozens of agents and analysts.
- Use both a portfolio and behavioral approach to analyzing and optimizing losses
- Learn about your customers to determine if they can and will meet obligations
- Build an RMP team for payment risk operations, analytics, and decision automation
- Use linking mechanisms and velocity models to detect unusual activity among your customers
- Design system and data architecture to facilitate your activity analysis
- Implement the decision and loss-reduction mechanisms you need to act on your findings
Table of contents
I. Background and Theory
- 1. What Is Risk Management in Payments?
- 2. What Problem(s) Are We Trying to Solve?
- 3. The Two Leading Approaches to the Analysis and Optimization of Losses
- 4. How Should We Describe and Understand Behavior?
II. Organization and People
- 5. The Goals and Functions of a Payments Risk Management Team
- 6. Hiring for Your RMP Team
III. Tools and Methods
7. Detection: Figuring Out that Something Is Wrong
- Measuring Performance
- Detecting that “Something” Is Happening
- 8. Analysis: Understanding What’s Going On
9. Action: Dealing with Your Findings
- Manual Review
- The Variable Library
- The Review GUI
- The Rules Engine
- Automated Decision Models
- Product and Experience Modifications
- When Things Go Wrong: Dispute Resolution
- Setting Up Your Team and Tools
- 7. Detection: Figuring Out that Something Is Wrong
- About the Author
- Title: Introduction to Online Payments Risk Management
- Release date: June 2013
- Publisher(s): O'Reilly Media, Inc.
- ISBN: 9781449370671
You might also like
Fraud Analytics Using Descriptive, Predictive, and Social Network Techniques: A Guide to Data Science for Fraud Detection
Detect fraud earlier to mitigate loss and prevent cascading damage Fraud Analytics Using Descriptive, Predictive, and …
Designing Mobile Payment Experiences
Now that consumer purchases with mobile phones are on the rise, how do you design a …
Practical Statistics for Data Scientists, 2nd Edition
Statistical methods are a key part of data science, yet few data scientists have formal statistical …
Software Engineering at Google
Today, software engineers need to know not only how to program effectively but also how to …