1 Introduction to Design
Upon completion of this chapter, you will be able to:
• Describe the overall process of designing systems
• Distinguish between engineering design and engineering analysis activity
• Distinguish between the conventional design process and optimum design process
• Distinguish between the optimum design and optimal control problems
• Understand the notations used for operations with vectors, matrices, and functions
Engineering consists of a number of well established activities, including analysis, design, fabrication, sales, research, and the development of systems. The subject of this text—the design of systems—is a major field in the engineering profession. The process of designing and fabricating systems has been ...