Begin your iOS mobile application development journey with this accessible, practical tutorial.
About This Video
- Write robust and efficient code, avoid common pitfalls using Swift, use it to build an app with interesting UIViews, and add additional behaviors to it.
- Become a confident iOS developer following the practical approach taken by this video tutorial
- Get comprehensive coverage of the tools and techniques needed to create high-performance application and develop code using Swift 4.
You want to build iOS applications for the iPhone and iPad, but where do you start? Forget sifting through tutorials and blog posts; this is a direct route into iOS development, taking you through the basics and showing you how to put the principles into practice. The goal of this tutorial is to help you become a professional developer by unleashing the full potential of iOS 11 to build applications. This tutorial will cover the essentials of the Swift language, building flexible iOS user interfaces working on multiple devices, looking into how software patterns such as Target-Action and Model-View-Controller are implemented in iOS 11, and focusing on specific issues to make you proficient at tasks more rapidly.
What you will learn
- Prepare your environment for iOS 11 development
- Understand the fundamentals of programming with the Swift 4 programming language
- Integrate with iOS and improve the user experience with app extensions
- Implement a dynamic and interactive interface in an iOS app
- Build your own custom UIViews through code or the interface builder
- Improve UI and UITableView in your apps
- Build additional layers and behaviors into your applications for custom actions
Who should take this course
This video is for beginners who want to be able to create iOS applications. If you are an aspiring iOS 11 application developer with a keen interest in learning Swift 4 and deploying apps on iPhone, then this course is for you. This course is also for developers who may have built applications in Objective C for older iOS iterations but are not familiar with the new iOS 11 SDK.
About the author
Michael J Huber Jr is a Networking Engineer with long experience developing both on the backend and mobile sides. He likes to work in an agile environment with visibility on the entire software life-cycle. He tries always to do his best to share knowledge across the team he works with.
A contributor to the Vapor web framework, he gave a talk with SLC Cocoahead on Server-side Swift with Vapor and on setting up, installing, and using Vapor's web framework to create an API in Swift and then use that API in an iOS app, deploying the App to a Linux server, and using a MySQL database to store and read data.
He worked with US Vision as a Network Engineer and Network Technician, and the University of Pennsylvania as a hardware/software analyst.
About Packt Video
Packt Video publishes friendly, practical video tutorials, packed with practical skills, concepts and guidance to help you succeed with new technologies and tasks. Packt Video’s series include Learn, Hands-On, Mastering, In 7 Days, Troubleshooting, and more. Our courses cover web and software development, security and ethical hacking, data science, and other key tech topics. We exist to make cutting-edge topics accessible for all.
The code bundle for this video course is available at - https://github.com/PacktPublishing/iOS-11-Programming-with-SWIFT
Table of Contents
- Chapter 1 : Getting Started with iOS 11
- Chapter 2 : Swift 4 in Full Swing
Chapter 3 : Developing Single View Applications
- Setting Up Our Project 00:04:32
- An Overview of Xcode 9 00:04:22
- Building the User Interface 00:07:09
- Working with Views and View Hierarchies 00:10:03
- Model-View-Controller 00:15:47
- Exploring Actions and Outlets 00:01:08
- Generating and Troubleshooting Actions and Outlets 00:14:03
- Inserting Contents in a ScrollView 00:14:51
- Chapter 4 : Working with UITableView
- Chapter 5 : Building Multiple ViewControllers
- Chapter 6 : Working with Interface Builder
- Chapter 7 : Working with StackViews and Size Classes
- Chapter 8 : Building Additional Behavior
- Chapter 9 : Finishing Touches
- Chapter 10 : Persisting Data between Launches
- Title: iOS 11 Programming with SWIFT: Develop iOS mobile applications from scratch
- Release date: October 2017
- Publisher(s): Packt Publishing
- ISBN: 9781788393263