Use the power of BLE to create exciting IoT applications
About This Book
- Build hands-on IoT projects using Bluetooth Low Energy and learn about Bluetooth 5 and its features.
- Build a health tracking system, and indoor navigation and warehouse weather monitoring projects using smart devices.
- Build on a theoretical foundation and create a practice-based understanding of Bluetooth Low Energy.
Who This Book Is For
If you're an application developer, a hardware enthusiast, or just curious about the Internet of Things and how to convert it into hands-on projects, then this book is for you. Having some knowledge of writing mobile applications will be advantageous.
What You Will Learn
- Learn about the architecture and IoT uses of BLE, and in which domains it is being used the most
- Set up and learn about various development platforms (Android, iOS, Firebase, Raspberry Pi, Beacons, and GitHub)
- Create an Explorer App (Android/iOS) to diagnose a Fitness Tracker
- Design a Beacon with the Raspberry Pi and write an app to detect the Beacon
- Write a mobile app to periodically poll the BLE tracking sensor
- Compose an app to read data periodically from temperature and humidity sensors
- Explore more applications of BLE with IoT
- Design projects for both Android and iOS mobile platforms
Bluetooth Low Energy, or Bluetooth Smart, is Wireless Personal Area networking aimed at smart devices and IoT applications. BLE has been increasingly adopted by application developers and IoT enthusiasts to establish connections between smart devices.
This book initially covers all the required aspects of BLE, before you start working on IoT projects. In the initial stages of the book, you will learn about the basic aspects of Bluetooth Low Energy - such as discovering devices, services, and characteristics - that will be helpful for advanced-level projects. This book will guide you through building hands-on projects using BLE and IoT. These projects include tracking health data, using a mobile App, and making this data available for health practitioners; Indoor navigation; creating beacons using the Raspberry Pi; and warehouse weather Monitoring. This book also covers aspects of Bluetooth 5 (the latest release) and its effect on each of these projects.
By the end of this book, you will have hands-on experience of using Bluetooth Low Energy to integrate with smart devices and IoT projects.
Style and Approach
A practical guide that will help you promote yourself into an expert by building and exploring practical applications of Bluetooth Low Energy.
Table of contents
- What is Bluetooth Low Energy?
- Setting Up
- Building a Service Explorer App
- Designing a Personal Tracking System
- Beacons with Raspberry Pi
- Weather Monitoring Using BLE in Warehouses
- Bluetooth 5
- Practical Use Cases
- Future of BLE
- Future of IoT
- Title: IoT Projects with Bluetooth Low Energy
- Release date: August 2017
- Publisher(s): Packt Publishing
- ISBN: 9781788399449
You might also like
40 Algorithms Every Programmer Should Know
Learn algorithms for solving classic computer science problems with this concise guide covering everything from fundamental …
51+ hours of video instruction. Overview The professional programmer’s Deitel® video guide to Python development with …
Python for Programmers, First Edition
The professional programmer's Deitel® guide to Python® with introductory artificial intelligence case studies Written for programmers …
Embedded Systems Architecture
A comprehensive guide to reaping the benefits of architectural modeling in embedded design About This Book …