Learn the Genius tips and tricks that will make your iPad even better - now updated for iPad Air 2 and iPad mini 3!
iPad Portable Genius is a practical, easy to read guide to getting the most out of your iPad. Written in a clear, no-nonsense style, this full-color resource describes the tips and tricks you may not discover on your own. You'll find helpful information about the most commonly used features, along with techniques that can help you do better things faster. Genius icons throughout the text highlight smarter ways to get things done, and plenty of screenshots provide visual examples of the techniques described. With coverage of the latest iOS and the newer-generation iPad Air and iPad mini, this book is a handy reference for any iPad user.
Apple's iPad is unrivaled as the industry leader. Each generation of the iPad includes even more features than before, and the app store offers a world of ways to further customize your iPad to suit your needs. iPad Portable Genius gives you the fundamental skills that not only enhance your current iPad use, but also carry over into upgrades, new apps and the underlying techniques that can help you make the most of the iOS. Learn to:
Find your way around iPad Air 2, iPad mini 3, and older models of the iPad and iPad mini
Connect to a network and sync your apps, photos, music, and more
Organize your contacts and track your appointments
Get more out of e-mail, audio, video, and Web surfing
Configure your iPad, download apps, and troubleshoot when things go wrong
You've got the most coveted tablet on the market—don't you want to see what it can do? If you're only using your iPad for e-mail and the Internet, you haven't even scratched the surface. iPad Portable Genius is your handy guide to full iPad functionality.
Table of contents
Chapter 1: How Do I Start Using My iPad or iPad mini?
- Using the Home Button
- Working with the Sleep/Wake Button
- Working with the Side Switch
- Operating the Volume Controls
- Getting to Know the Rest of the Tablet
- Running Your Tablet from the Control Center
Chapter 2: How Do I Connect to a Network?
- Connecting to a Wi-Fi Network
- Forgetting a Wi-Fi Network
- Turning Off the Wi-Fi Antenna
- Tethering to an iPhone Internet Connection
- Working with Cellular-Enabled iPads and iPad minis
- Switching Your Tablet to Airplane Mode
- Connecting Your Tablet to a Bluetooth Device
Chapter 3: How Do I Configure My iPad or iPad mini?
- Creating a Custom Home Screen
- Working with App Notifications
- More Useful Configuration Techniques
- Configuring Your Tablet for Social Networking
Chapter 4: How Do I Keep My iPad or iPad mini in Sync?
- Connecting Your Tablet to Your Computer
- Syncing Your Tablet Automatically
- Syncing Your Tablet Manually
- Syncing Your Tablet via Wi-Fi
- Taking Syncing to a Higher Level
Syncing Your Tablet with iCloud
- Setting up your iCloud account on your tablet
- Setting up iCloud synchronization on your tablet
- Setting up iCloud Family Sharing
- Setting up iCloud Keychain
- Managing your iCloud storage
- Changing your iCloud storage plan
- Upgrading to iCloud Drive
- Setting up iCloud synchronization on your Mac
- Configuring iCloud on a Windows PC
Chapter 5: How Can I Get More Out of Web Surfing?
- Touchscreen Tips for Surfing
- Browsing Tips for Faster Surfing
- Filling in Online Forms
- Getting Even More Out of Safari
Chapter 6: How Do I Make the Most of E-mail?
- Managing Your E-mail Accounts
- Configuring E-mail Accounts
Configuring E-mail Messages
- Creating e-mail VIPs
- Formatting an e-mail
- E-mailing a link
- Creating iCloud message folders
- Creating a custom signature
- Continuing a Mac e-mail message on your iPhone
- Disabling remote images
- Preventing Mail from organizing messages by thread
- Maintaining messages with gestures
- Marking all messages as read
- Controlling e-mail with Siri voice commands
Chapter 7: How Do I Manage My E-book Library?
- Understanding E-book Formats
- Syncing E-books
- Managing Your iBooks Library
- Reading with iBooks
- Reading Other E-books
- Reading Magazines with Newsstand
Chapter 8: How Can I Have Fun with Photos?
- Syncing and Importing Photos
- Browsing and Viewing Your Photos
- Editing Photos
- Sharing Photos
- Using the Cameras
Chapter 9: How Can I Get More Out of Listening to Audio?
- Preparing iTunes Audio for Your Tablet
- Syncing Audio
- Working with the Music App
- Getting More Out of the Audio Features
Chapter 10: How Can I Work with Video on My iPad or iPad mini?
- Syncing Videos
- Other Ways to Watch Video
- Recording and Editing Video
- Video Calling with FaceTime
Chapter 11: How Do I Manage Contacts?
- Syncing Your Contacts
- Getting Started with Contacts
- Creating and Editing Contacts
- Getting More Out of Contacts
Chapter 12: How Do I Track My Appointments?
- Syncing Your Calendars
- Getting Started with the Calendar App
- Tracking Your Events
- Getting More Out of the Calendar App
- Working with Reminders
Chapter 13: How Can I Navigate My World with iPad?
Finding Your Way with Maps and GPS
- Getting info about a destination
- Flying over your destination
- Displaying your current location
- Displaying a map of a contact’s location
- Mapping an address from an e-mail
- Saving a location as a favorite
- Specifying a location when you don’t know the address
- Getting directions to a location
- Getting live traffic information
- Controlling Maps with Siri voice commands
- Configuring Location Services
- Sharing Map Data
- Finding Your Way with Maps and GPS
Chapter 14: How Do I Protect or Fix My iPad or iPad mini?
- Protecting Your Tablet with a Passcode
- Unlocking Your iPad with a Fingerprint
- Configuring Your Tablet to Sleep Automatically
- Backing Up Your Tablet
- Configuring Parental Controls
- Locating and Protecting a Lost iPad
- General Troubleshooting Techniques
- Taking Care of the Battery
- Solving Specific Problems
- Title: iPad Portable Genius, 3rd Edition
- Release date: December 2014
- Publisher(s): Wiley
- ISBN: 9781118932148
You might also like
Natural Cures For Dummies
Find natural cures for more than 130 health conditions Packed with over 130 remedies for the …
Facebook All-in-One For Dummies, 2nd Edition
The A to Z Facebook guide for users, marketers, and developers alike Facebook has more than …
Professional Microsoft SQL Server 2014 Integration Services
Fill the gap between planning and doing with SSIS 2014 The 2014 release of Microsoft's SQL …
MATLAB For Dummies
Plot graphs, solve equations, and write code in a flash! If you work in a STEM …