"The entry to the world of iPhone."
-Aiden Montgomery, Wile Ltd.
"If you're new to iPhone development, this is your book!"
-Larry C. Whipple, Mobile Productivity, Inc.
"Get this book. It's pure gold."
-Martijn Dashorst, Author of Wicket in Action
"The quick & easy guide."
-Premkumar Rajendran, HCL Technologies
"The only book on iPhone development I will ever need."
-Rama Krishna Vavilala, Author of ASP.NET AJAX in Action
The iPhone explodes old ideas of a cell phone. Its native SDK offers a remarkable range of features including easy-to-build graphical objects, a unique navigation system, and a built-in database, all on a location-knowledgeable device. Websites and web apps can now behave like native iPhone apps, with great network integration.
iPhone in Action is an in-depth introduction to both native and web programming for the iPhone. You'll learn how to turn your web pages into compelling iPhone web apps using WebKit, iUI, and Canvas. The authors also take you step by step into more complex Objective-C programming. They help you master the iPhone SDK including its UI and features like accelerometers, GPS, the Address Book, SQLite, and many more. Using Apple's standard tools like Dashcode, Xcode, and Interface Builder, you'll learn how to best use both approaches: iPhone web and SDK programming. This book is intended as an introduction to its topics. Proficiency with C, Cocoa, or Objective-C is helpful but not required.
A comprehensive tutorial for iPhone programming
Web development, the SDK, and hybrid coding
Over 60 web, Dashcode, and SDK examples
Table of contents
- Brief Table of Contents
- Table of Contents
- List of Figures
- List of Tables
- List of Listings
- About this book
- Part 1. Introducing iPhone programming
- Chapter 1. Introducing the iPhone
- Chapter 2. Web development or the SDK?
- Part 2. Designing web pages for the iPhone
- Chapter 3. Redeveloping web pages for the iPhone
- Chapter 4. Advanced WebKit and textual web apps
- Chapter 5. Using iUI for web apps
- Chapter 6. Using Canvas for web apps
- Chapter 7. Building web apps with Dashcode
- Chapter 8. Debugging iPhone web pages
- Chapter 9. SDK programming for web developers
- Part 3. Learning SDK fundamentals
- Chapter 10. Learning Objective-C and the iPhone OS
- Chapter 11. Using Xcode
- Chapter 12. Using Interface Builder
- Chapter 13. Creating basic view controllers
- Chapter 14. Monitoring events and actions
- Chapter 15. Creating advanced view controllers
- Part 4. Programming with the SDK Toolkit
- Chapter 16. Data: actions, preferences, files, SQLite, and addresses
- Chapter 17. Positioning: accelerometers and location
- Chapter 18. Media: images and sounds
- Chapter 19. Graphics: Quartz, Core Animation, and OpenGL
- Chapter 20. The web: web views and internet protocols
- Appendix A. iPhone OS class reference
- Appendix B. External sources and references
- Appendix C. Publishing your SDK program
- Title: iPhone in Action: Introduction to Web and SDK Development
- Release date: December 2008
- Publisher(s): Manning Publications
- ISBN: 9781933988863
You might also like
40 Algorithms Every Programmer Should Know
Learn algorithms for solving classic computer science problems with this concise guide covering everything from fundamental …
Visual C++® 6 Unleashed
Visual C++ 6 Unleashed provides comprehensive coverage of the core topics for Visual C++ 6 programming. …
Over 80 engaging recipes that will help you build a compiler frontend, optimizer, and code generator …
Kubernetes in Action
Kubernetes in Action teaches you to use Kubernetes to deploy container-based distributed applications. You'll start with …