You did it. You successfully transformed your application into a microservices architecture. But now that you’re running services across different environments—public to public, private to public, virtual machine to container—your cloud native software is beginning to encounter reliability issues.
How do you stay on top of this ever-increasing complexity? With the Istio service mesh, you’ll be able to manage traffic, control access, monitor, report, get telemetry data, manage quota, trace, and more with resilience across your microservice.
In this book, Lee Calcote and Zack Butcher explain why your services need a service mesh and demonstrate step-by-step how Istio fits into the life cycle of a distributed application. You’ll learn about the tools and APIs for enabling and managing many of the features found in Istio.
- Explore the observability challenges Istio addresses
- Use request routing, traffic shifting, fault injection, and other features essential to running a solid service mesh
- Generate and collect telemetry information
- Try different deployment patterns, including A/B, blue/green, and canary
- Get examples of how to develop and deploy real-world applications with Istio support
Table of contents
1. Introducing the Service Mesh
- What Is a Service Mesh?
- Sailing into a Service Mesh
- Landscape and Ecosystem
- The Istio Service Mesh
2. Cloud Native Approach to Uniform Observability
- What Does It Mean to Be Cloud Native?
- What Is Observability?
- Uniform Observability with a Service Mesh
- 3. Istio at a Glance
4. Deploying Istio
- Preparing Your Environment for Istio
- Installing Istio
- Uninstalling Istio
- Helm-Based Installations
- Other Environments
5. Service Proxy
- What Is a Service Proxy?
- Envoy Proxy Overview
- Envoy in Istio
- Sidecar Injection
- Envoy’s Functionality
- 6. Security and Identity
- 7. Pilot
- 8. Traffic Management
- 9. Mixer and Policies in the Mesh
- 10. Telemetry
11. Debugging Istio
- Introspecting Istio Components
- Troubleshooting with a Management Plane
- Workload Preparedness
- Istio Installation, Upgrade, and Uninstall
- Troubleshooting Mixer
- Troubleshooting Pilot
- Debugging Galley
- Debugging Envoy
- Version Compatibility
- 12. Real-World Considerations for Application Deployment
- 13. Advanced Scenarios
- Title: Istio: Up and Running
- Release date: October 2019
- Publisher(s): O'Reilly Media, Inc.
- ISBN: 9781492043782
You might also like
Head First Design Patterns, 2nd Edition
You know you don’t want to reinvent the wheel, so you look to design patterns—the lessons …
40 Algorithms Every Programmer Should Know
Learn algorithms for solving classic computer science problems with this concise guide covering everything from fundamental …
Building Event-Driven Microservices
Organizations today often struggle to balance business requirements with ever-increasing volumes of data. Additionally, the demand …
Infrastructure as Code, 2nd Edition
Just five years ago, infrastructure as code was a new concept for many companies. Today, even …