Stop chasing hot trends and start driving real growth
It's Not Rocket Science blasts through the trends and false promises permeating the business world to help you and your company get back to basics and get things done. Why doggedly pursue the "next big thing" when the most effective drivers of growth are right under your nose? This book asserts that you've already heard, been taught, and know well the key fundamentals that spell business success, and presents a compelling, four strategy blueprint for returning your business culture and strategies to a rock solid foundation of execution excellence. Each chapter opens with The Challenge, which outlines a current condition that exists due to a departure from common sense behaviors, and tasks you with following the appropriate execution principles to get your business on the right track. After a thorough explanation of "what" and "why," each chapter gives you the actionable "how" so you can implement these valuable steps and master the art of execution in your organization.
Shifting sands do not make for a sustainable structure. If your organization is to be robust and strong enough to weather any storm, the strength must come from the very core; the ability for each member of your team to execute daily and effectively towards your organization's most compelling goals. Frankly, the last things most organizations need is another goal they'll miss because they can't execute well. This book reminds you of the four timeless execution methods and strategies that have proven themselves over centuries, and shows you how they are implemented in today's business environment.
Get the leaders right
Get the culture right
Get the people right
Get the process right
Today's flash in the pan may be superficially intriguing, but is it really that much different from yesterday's "hot tip"? Fundamentals are fundamental for a reason, and It's Not Rocket Science is the common sense guide to putting away flavor-of-the-month toys and getting down to business.
Table of contents
- Title Page
Part One: Get the Process Right!
- Chapter 1: Why Your Team Cannot Execute and How to Fix It
- Chapter 2: Make Each Day a Masterpiece
- Chapter 3: Get TUF!
- Chapter 4: The Fray Gets in the Way!
- Chapter 5: MAX It!
- Chapter 6: The Power of a Personal Success Profile (PSP)
- Chapter 7: MAP It!
- Chapter 8: RAM It!
- Chapter 9: Prune It!
- Chapter 10: Don't Mistake Motion for Progress!
- Part One Summary
Part Two: Get the Leaders Right!
- Chapter 11: Do You Overmanage and Underlead?
- Chapter 12: Stretching, Trenches, and Changing
- Chapter 13: You Are the Catalyst!
- Chapter 14: Buy-in Is Earned, Not Commanded!
- Chapter 15: Get Your Red Belt On!
- Chapter 16: The Truth about Mediocrity
- Chapter 17: Beware the Five Seductions of Leadership
- Chapter 18: Five Ways Conventional Wisdom Destroys Your Potential
- Chapter 19: The Power of Preparation
- Chapter 20: A Blueprint for Making the Tough Calls
Chapter 21: Four Ways to Measure Your Leadership
- The Challenge
- The First Quadrant of a Leader's Report Card: The Culture You've Created
- The Second Quadrant of a Leader's Report Card: The People You've Attracted and Developed
- The Third Quadrant of a Leader's Report Card: How You're Getting Results
- The Fourth Quadrant of a Leader's Report Card: Performance versus Market
- Parting Thought
- Part Two Summary
Part Three: Get the Culture Right!
- Chapter 22: Remember—It's the Culture, Stupid!
- Chapter 23: The Core Value Pillar
- Chapter 24: The Mission Pillar
- Chapter 25: The Performance Standard Pillar
- Chapter 26: Establish Your Business Facts of Life
- Chapter 27: The Core Competency Pillar
- Chapter 28: The People Pillar
- Chapter 29: The Earn and Deserve Culture
- Chapter 30: The Ideal Cultural Portrait: Consistent in, Mediocre Out
- Chapter 31: Weave in Catalyst, Responsible, and Lead
- Chapter 32: Entitled Out, Tough-Minded In
- Chapter 33: Sloth Out, Loyal In
- Part Three Summary
Part Four: Get the Team Right!
- Chapter 34: How to Find the Great People You're Looking For!
- Chapter 35: Like is Never Enough!
- Chapter 36: You Can't Make People What They Are Not!
- Chapter 37: Ten Tips to Retain Talent
- Chapter 38: Fix the Roof While the Sun Is Shining!
- Chapter 39: Six Ways to Increase Employee Engagement
- Chapter 40: The Staggering Cost of Poor Performance
- Part Four Summary
- About the Author
- Glossary of Master the Art of Execution Terms
- End User License Agreement
- Title: It's Not Rocket Science: 4 Simple Strategies for Mastering the Art of Execution
- Release date: October 2015
- Publisher(s): Wiley
- ISBN: 9781119116639
You might also like
INSPIRED, 2nd Edition
How do today’s most successful tech companies—Amazon, Google, Facebook, Netflix, Tesla—design, develop, and deploy the products …
The Business Book
You can achieve your business dream. Beat the odds as you learn from the best - …
The DNA of Strategy Execution
DECODE & DEVELOP THE DNA OF STRATEGY-EXECUTION TO THRIVE IN TODAY’S TURBULENT ENVIRONMENT WITH NEXT GENERATION …
40 Algorithms Every Programmer Should Know
Learn algorithms for solving classic computer science problems with this concise guide covering everything from fundamental …