Chapter 10 Self Test
1. Why does Java define both byte and character streams?
2. Even though console input and output is text-based, why does Java still use byte streams for this purpose?
3. Show how to open a file for reading bytes.
4. Show how to open a file for reading characters.
5. Show how to open a file for random-access I/O.
6. How can you convert a numeric string such as “123.23” into its binary equivalent?
7. Write a program that copies a text file. In the process, have it convert all spaces into hyphens. Use the byte stream file classes. Use the traditional approach to closing a file by explicitly calling close( ).
8. Rewrite the program ...