Example of Bootstrapping
A tire manufacturer wants to predict an engine’s horsepower from the engine’s displacement (in3). The company is most interested in estimating the slope of the relationship between the variables. The slope values help the company predict the corresponding change in horsepower when the displacement changes.
1. Open the Car Physical Data.jmp sample data table.
2. Select Analyze > Fit Y by X.
3. Assign Horsepower to the Y, Response role.
4. Assign Displacement to the X, Factor role.
5. Click OK.
6. Select Fit Line from the Bivariate Fit red triangle menu.
In the Parameter Estimates
report, right-click the Estimate
column and select Bootstrap
Figure 10.2 Select the Bootstrap Option
The column that you ...