Interviewing is the only way to get quotes. All stories need quotes; therefore, all stories need interviewing skills. Before you interview someone you need to do as much background research as possible. First, decide what it is you want to know from the interview:
• do you need a particular fact?
• do you want a date?
• do you need a phone number?
• do you need an expert name?
• do you want background?
• what statistics do you need?
Make a list of the research you need to carry out, then decide why you want to know this information:
• is it critical to your story?
• is it secondary?
• is it interesting but optional?
Rank your list of research items, least to most important, then work out how you will use the information: ...