Wil Wheaton has never been one to take the conventional path to success. Despite early stardom through his childhood role in the motion picture "Stand By Me", and growing up on television as Wesley Crusher on "Star Trek: The Next Generation", Wil left Hollywood in pursuit of happiness, purpose, and a viable means of paying the bills. In the oddest of places, Topeka, Kansas, Wil discovered that despite his claims to fame, he was at heart Just a Geek.
In this bestselling book, Wil shares his deeply personal and difficult journey to find himself. You'll understand the rigors, and joys, of Wil's rediscovering of himself, as he comes to terms with what it means to be famous, or, ironically, famous for once having been famous. Writing with honesty and disarming humanity, Wil touches on the frustrations associated with his acting career, his inability to distance himself from Ensign Crusher in the public's eyes, the launch of his incredibly successful web site, wilwheaton.net, and the joy he's found in writing. Through all of this, Wil shares the ups and downs he encountered along the journey, along with the support and love he discovered from his friends and family.
The stories in Just a Geek include:
- Wil's plunge from teen star to struggling actor
- Discovering the joys of HTML, blogging, Linux, and web design
- The struggle between Wesley Crusher, Starfleet ensign, and Wil Wheaton, author and blogger
- Gut-wrenching reactions to the 9-11 disaster
- Moving tales of Wil's relationships with his wife, step-children, and extended family
- The transition from a B-list actor to an A-list author
Wil Wheaton--celebrity, blogger, and geek--writes for the geek in all of us. Engaging, witty, and pleasantly self-deprecating, Just a Geek will surprise you and make you laugh.
Table of contents
- A Note to the Reader
- I. Introduction
- II. ACT I
- III. BREAKING NEWS
- IV. ACT II
- V. ACT III
VI. ACT IV
- 11. The Wesley Dialogues
- 12. All Good Things . . .
- EPILOGUE: Hooters 2: Electric Boogaloo
- A. The WWdN FAQ
B. Selected Interviews
ASK WIL WHEATON ANYTHING
- THOSE SILLY AUTOMATIC DOORS
- WHERE’S THE PARTIES, DUDE?
- BORN A GEEK, OR DID ST PUSH YOU IN THAT DIRECTION?
- WESLEY CRUSHER JOKES
- ARE YOU WORRIED ABOUT BEING TYPECAST?
- NEWTEKAND THE VIDEO TOASTER
- WIL’S JOB AT NEWTEK’S LIGHTWAVE
- HOLLYWOOD ACTIVISM
- RADIO FREE BURRITO
- WESLEY VS. ADRIC
- GEEKESS OR VALLEY GIRL?
- DEAR WIL
- PATRICK STEWART'S BALD HEAD
- FAN FIXATED MOMENT?
- INDUSTRY INSIDER?
- HOW DID YOU FEEL ABOUT BEING SLASHDOTTED?
- ASK WIL WHEATON ANYTHING
- Further Reading
- About the Author
- Title: Just a Geek
- Release date: June 2004
- Publisher(s): O'Reilly Media, Inc.
- ISBN: 9780596007683
You might also like
10+ Hours of Video Instruction Linux Fundamentals LiveLessons has more than 10 hours of comprehensive video …
Learning React, 2nd Edition
If you want to learn how to build efficient React applications, this is your book. Ideal …
Hands-On Machine Learning with Scikit-Learn, Keras, and TensorFlow, 2nd Edition
Through a series of recent breakthroughs, deep learning has boosted the entire field of machine learning. …
Designing Data-Intensive Applications
Data is at the center of many challenges in system design today. Difficult issues need to …