Rediscover kindness and rediscover your worth
Have you ever helped someone out of instinct, because not helping never even occurred to you? Remember how surprised you were at their gratitude? It is easy to feel like kindness and gratitude are becoming rare in the world today, but the truth is that it is all around you — you just need to learn how to see it. Kindness shows you how to do just that, and inspires you to take part with tips, ideas, recommendations and advice. You will learn to see yourself and your surroundings in a kinder, happier way.
Kindness is not people-pleasing; people-pleasing comes from a place of anxiety, while kindness is borne out of empathy. Kindness expects no reward or recognition, and is just as beneficial to the giver as the receiver. Kindness can be a grand gesture, or something as simple as a smile. It can be quiet or loud, simple or complex. This book helps you internalise the fundamental truth that kindness does not require wealth or possessions, or material giving at all — whatever you have to offer is enough, and it may just change someone’s life. Learn how to:
- See the silver lining and take care of yourself in difficult times.
- Do and say kind things when you're not feeling very kindly.
- Sustain the warm feelings that come from helping others.
- Express kindness even when other people are rude or critical.
- Enjoy self-care and treating yourself.
Opportunities to be kind present themselves every day, and here you’ll learn how to notice them. Your self-esteem and confidence will grow as you discover the pure joy of helping others, and you’ll feel more comfortable allowing others to help you. In a world where kindness seems to get lost in the shuffle of worry, anxiety, aggression and worse, Kindness shows you how to bring it back into the light.
Table of contents
PART 1 Being Kind to Others
- 1 Being Kind
- 2 Kindness and Empathy
3 Go Out of Your Way to Make a Difference
- Be welcoming, approachable and inclusive
- What to say
- Go the extra mile; be generous
- Be generous with your encouragement
- Support others; mentoring and advocating
- Share your knowledge and skills
- Speak out
- Express your appreciation
- Giving praise and compliments
- Compliments and praise
- Don’t just express appreciation, show it
- Make kindness a habit
- In a nutshell
- 4 Kindness and Respect
- 5 Be Kind When Others are Rude and Inconsiderate
Part II Being Kind to Yourself
- 6 Don’t Be So Hard on Yourself; Be Kind
- 7 Kindness When Your Life is Really Difficult
- 8 Feel Good About Yourself
- Useful Websites
- About the Author
- Title: Kindness
- Release date: June 2018
- Publisher(s): Capstone
- ISBN: 9780857087522
You might also like
Full Stack Serverless
Cloud computing is typically associated with backend development and DevOps. But with the rise of serverless …
Hack into the secret power of your brain Your Brain 100 Billion Neurons 100 Trillion Connections …
Time Management Training
Empower workshop participants to reclaim their time. Kitchen fire or time waster? The inability to differentiate …
97 Things Every Engineering Manager Should Know
Tap into the wisdom of experts to learn what every engineering manager should know. With 97 …