Dive into the Kotlin ecosystem and familiarize yourself with all of its fascinating features
About This Video
Learn programming with Kotlin - the latest frontier of Android development
Practical content with live code teaches you the fundamentals of Kotlin programming
See the power of combining Kotlin and Java code, with an emphasis on Kotlin-only features
Kotlin is an easy-to-learn, pragmatic language that has adopted the best traits of other popular languages such as Java, C#, Python, Groovy, and Scala. This video tutorial is your one stop guide to getting started with Kotlin programming, covering the basics, object-oriented features, and even functional programming in Kotlin.
You’ll take your first steps in Kotlin programming by building a simple “Hello, Kotlin” program. You’ll explore the basics such as types and syntax, and also basics of object-oriented programming such as classes and inheritance. Next, you’ll dive into Kotlin objects and functions, and see how they’re different from other programming languages. You’ll learn to organize your code and simplify your coding experience with the help of different functions and statements in Kotlin. From there, you’ll lwork with collections and streams, employ loops in your code, and filter data with the help of different collection operations.
Finally, you’ll dive into Kotlin’s functional aspects, where you’ll work with extension functions and values, model functions, and overload functions in Kotlin. By the end of this video tutorial, you’ll be well-versed with Kotlin’s fundamental features, and will be ready to begin your career as a Kotlin developer.
Table of Contents
- Chapter 1 : First Steps with Kotlin
- Chapter 2 : Kotlin Basics
Chapter 3 : Working with Kotlin Objects and Functions
- Choosing Between Open Class and Final Class 00:02:30
- Modifying Class Properties with Object Expressions and Companion Objects 00:10:03
- Efficient Type Checking with Smart Casts 00:04:29
- Exploring Flow Control Statements 00:04:56
- Working with String Templates and Multiline Strings 00:03:25
- Understanding Referential and Structural Equality 00:03:41
- Chapter 4 : Collections and Streams
- Chapter 5 : Diving into Kotlin’s Functional Aspects
- Title: Kotlin Fundamentals
- Release date: August 2017
- Publisher(s): Packt Publishing
- ISBN: 9781788477260