This is a crash course on Kubernetes, designed for those new to Kubernetes and for those who want to sharpen their skills. It explains and demystifies Kubernetes by showing you the system as a whole before diving deep into the core strength of Kubernetes: its API and how it's used to operate containerized applications. You'll learn the main components of Kubernetes, bootstrap a cluster, investigate which components run where, explore the API, use basic curl commands to interact with the system, use the Kubernetes client kubectl, and see a demo of the custom resource definition, the API used to extend Kubernetes. The course caps off with some love for Python developers by introducing the Kubernetes Python client. Basic Linux skills and basic understanding of Cloud computing are required; Docker experience is helpful.
- Get quickly up to speed on Kubernetes, the de-facto standard for container orchestration
- Explore the origins of Kubernetes and its links to other container ecosystem software
- Learn the components that make up a Kubernetes cluster
- Understand the Kubernetes API and the basics of the schemas
- Gain hands-on experience using kubectl to create simple containerized applications
Sébastien Goasguen is senior director of cloud technologies at Bitnami, where he leads all Kubernetes efforts. A 20-year open source veteran and cloud technology entrepreneur (he founded Skippbox), Sébastien worked on Apache CloudStack and Libcloud for several years before diving into the container world. He's the author of multiple O'Reilly titles, including Kubernetes Cookbook, Docker Cookbook, and 60 Recipes for Apache CloudStack.
Table of contents
- Introduction to Kubernetes
- What is Kubernetes Exactly?
- Installing Kubernetes in Three Easy Ways
- The Kubernetes API
- Your First Kubernetes application
- Looking for More
- Title: Kubernetes Fundamentals
- Release date: December 2017
- Publisher(s): O'Reilly Media, Inc.
- ISBN: 9781492032137
You might also like
Software Engineering at Google
Today, software engineers need to know not only how to program effectively but also how to …
Microservices designs require you to change how you build and deploy applications. Instead of creating a …
Learning Path: Kafka
Sponsored by Lightbend Currently one of the hottest projects across the Hadoop ecosystem, Apache Kafka is …
Kubernetes in 7 Days
Build strong Kubernetes foundations in 1 week About This Video Learn how to build, manage, and …