Appendix A Computer connection types
Lurking at the back of most computers or hidden beneath a front flap are a series of connections used to attach external devices to your machine:
- • USB is the standard used for attaching most cameras, scanners and printers.
- • Firewire is a faster scanner and camera connection than USB.
- • Screen/video port connects the computer to the screen.
- • Mouse port is color coded to match the mouse plug.
- • Keyboard connects to the computer using a similar color-coded plug to the mouse.
- • SCSI ports are sometimes used to connect scanners and external hard drives.
- • Printer or parallel port connections are not used as much as they used to be. Most printers are now connected via USB.