In this chapter I outline:
• How effective leadership encourages empowerment.
• The four levels of empowerment.
• How to delegate effectively.
This chapter looks at how you can empower people and, in doing so, challenge and encourage them to take responsibility and release their potential. Empowerment involves the devolvement of decision making to team members. The benefits of empowerment include:
• Greater decision making for individuals.
• More sense of ownership and responsibility.
• Higher levels of customer satisfaction as staff are given the power to make decisions to increase customer loyalty.
Traditionally, many organisational departments, including IT, tend to adopt a command-and-control ...